Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: no bittering addition  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
no bittering addition
« on: July 01, 2014, 02:47:13 pm »
Planning my next batch without a bittering addition for the first time. I will be doing a pseudo hopburst method. My plan is to use 1/2 oz of hops at 20, 15, 10, & 5 minutes remaining for a total of about 20 IBUs. I may dry hop a small amount. I am brewing a general light bodied summer ale and am just going for something crisp with some decent hop flavor and subdued bitterness. It is basically a wheat beer with vienna malt and some rye.

Will my planned hop schedule achieve decent hop flavor or will I need to increase the amount at each addition?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: no bittering addition
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 03:25:34 pm »
Planning my next batch without a bittering addition for the first time. I will be doing a pseudo hopburst method. My plan is to use 1/2 oz of hops at 20, 15, 10, & 5 minutes remaining for a total of about 20 IBUs. I may dry hop a small amount. I am brewing a general light bodied summer ale and am just going for something crisp with some decent hop flavor and subdued bitterness. It is basically a wheat beer with vienna malt and some rye.

Will my planned hop schedule achieve decent hop flavor or will I need to increase the amount at each addition?

I think for the type of beer you're looking for, you're pretty much right on. And you're right, you could dry hop an oz or two if you like !
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 06:09:59 pm »
Sounds like a good plan to me. You might want to bump the IBUs a bit just to balance the hop flavor. The bitterness will be a bit softer than a typical 60 minute addition so you might want to shoot for mid or upper 20s for your target IBUs.

I'd also consider including a flameout addition as well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 06:33:15 pm »
Thanks guys.

I haven't finalized hop types which will obviously alter the ibu total. Right now I have lower alpha cascade and comet plugged in. I want to give the comet a shot although there seems to be differing opinions out there. The dude at the brew store swears by them and suckered me into buying an ounce. I have never had an oz of hops ruin a beer so hopefully it will be decent.

The og is 1.047 so I am shooting for 20-25 ibus total.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale