Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Question about filtering when transferring to a keg  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Redlegbrewer86

• 1st Kit
Question about filtering when transferring to a keg
« on: July 02, 2014, 11:11:37 am »
Hi, everyone! I'm fairly green to homebrewing. I've been brewing for the better part of two years but spent 6 months away from home. When I came home I joined AHA and made the jump from extract to all grain and from bottling to kegging. Up until now I never filtered my brew when I wracked it to the bottle bucket or (the last few times) the keg. I wracked my first AG IPA two nights ago and used pantyhose to filter with. I boiled them and sanitized them before using it. Eventually hop particles clogged the hose end where the pantyhose were attached. What can I do to avoid this problem in the future and a side note it tasted slightly sour as well. When I tasted the sample I took for my fg reading it tastes fine and it had a slight sour side to it when I sampled last night while checking my carbonation level.

Thanks for any input and cheers!

Dave
Brew Better Things

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Question about filtering when transferring to a keg
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 11:25:39 am »
Well the simplest answer is to not filter it. If you let it clear in the fermenter, then transfer carefully so you don't disturb the sediment, you should have fine clear beer. A post-ferment clarifier like gelatin can be added to help any small particles fall out.

A week or two cold in the keg will help too. Any particles will sink to the bottom and get blown out in the first glass.

Sourness could be bacterial contamination. Make sure everything is well sanitized. What are you using for that?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 11:29:02 am »
I assume that you were dry hopping.  I found that stainless tea balls work the best for me - I dry hop in the keg.  You can also consider trying to filter the beer as it is dispensed by using a stainless scrubbie-type mesh ball attached to the out tube.  Using the pantyhose is inviting oxidation on the transfer in my opinion.

As to the sour note - sounds like a possible infection, so I would re-double your sanitation practices and consider getting new transfer tubing.

Good luck!

Edit:  Jimmy beat me to the punch!  So "what he said!"
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 11:31:16 am by ynotbrusum »
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 11:44:47 am »
I wouldn't worry about infection at this point.  It's equally possible that it's caused by yeast in suspension.

How long was it in the fermenter? 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 11:50:12 am »
I'm guessing the pantyhose was on the discharge end of the hose.  Try putting it on the inlet end.  You shouldn't get any clogging on the inlet end.

Did you use gypsum/calcium sulfate?  Gypsum can add a sour note. 

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 12:08:47 pm »
I wouldn't worry about infection at this point.  It's equally possible that it's caused by yeast in suspension.

How long was it in the fermenter? 

Could be yeasty sour, so maybe he missed it when he tasted the hydrometer sample?

I'm guessing the pantyhose was on the discharge end of the hose.  Try putting it on the inlet end.  You shouldn't get any clogging on the inlet end.

Really - I did not know that about gypsum.  Is there a threshold level in terms of ppm where that is exhibited?  I am now building from RO each brew, so it would be good to know on hoppy beers where the line could be crossed.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 12:24:00 pm »

Really - I did not know that about gypsum.  Is there a threshold level in terms of ppm where that is exhibited?  I am now building from RO each brew, so it would be good to know on hoppy beers where the line could be crossed.

I'm not sure where the line is crossed.  I get dry rather than sour when making PAs and IPAs with up to 200 mg/l of sulfate.  I get sour in Old Speckled Hen rather than dry.  There is probably an interaction between the amount of sulfate and the pH of the beer, i.e., if the pH is low (possibly due to fermentation or yeast characteristics), the sulfate is more noticeable.  Also sweetness plays a role.