Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: drilled into wrong spot on fridge  (Read 6698 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
drilled into wrong spot on fridge
« on: July 02, 2014, 04:19:18 pm »
So I was moving my CO2 tank outside of the fridge and drilling a hole for the gas hose into the the side of the fridge toward the back and about a foot from the bottom. I drilled a small hole to start and immediately noticed air coming out. It wasn't incredibly high pressured but definitely considerable. I was able to seal the holes on the inside and the outside sides and have it back up and running. As far as I can tell, it is not cooling although the compressor is running and the holes are sealed.

Did I damage the fridge beyond repair by letting freon out? I was hoping that sealing the holes would have resolved the problem but I know very little about fridges...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 04:20:55 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: drilled into wrong spot on fridge
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 04:23:14 pm »
if you punctured the freon coil then the fridge is probably dead, unless you have it patched or replaced by a repair man
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 04:23:50 pm »
So I was moving my CO2 tank outside of the fridge and drilling a hole for the gas hose into the the side of the fridge toward the back and about a foot from the bottom. I drilled a small hole to start and immediately noticed air coming out. It wasn't incredibly high pressured but definitely considerable. I was able to seal the holes on the inside and the outside sides and have it back up and running. As far as I can tell, it is not cooling although the compressor is running and the holes are sealed.

Did I damage the fridge beyond repair by letting freon out? I was hoping that sealing the holes would have resolved the problem but I know very little about fridges...

Wow dude, that sucks.  My guess is the answer to your question is yes, you damaged it beyond repair. But, that's only a guess.  I have no direct experience on this.   

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 04:27:24 pm »
s***! This really screws me for a while... Anyone want 4 kegs of beer?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 05:34:42 pm »
Did it smell? Freon has a very distinct smell. Similar to the smell when a radiator line leaks on a car, but sweeter.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 05:41:53 pm »
s***! This really screws me for a while... Anyone want 4 kegs of beer?

Sucks man, Sorry.  IF its any consolation, HD and Lowes are bothing doing appliance sales for the holiday.  Maybe you can replace it.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 06:15:05 pm »
It is definitely not cool but I Found one on Craigslist for $40! I will probably be converting it tomorrow if it works well and all goes to plan. I will be consulting you guys on where to drill on the right side to be safe. About a foot higher toward the back seemed to be fine. I drilled for the taps on the same side so thought I was in the clear.

I can't believe how depressed that made me...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 06:21:48 pm »
It is definitely not cool but I Found one on Craigslist for $40! I will probably be converting it tomorrow if it works well and all goes to plan. I will be consulting you guys on where to drill on the right side to be safe. About a foot higher toward the back seemed to be fine. I drilled for the taps on the same side so thought I was in the clear.

That sucks. The old fridges never had anything in the side wall, but I can't speak for newer models. Hang in there, I hope you find something affordable and acceptable.
Jon H.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 07:14:51 pm »

That sucks. The old fridges never had anything in the side wall, but I can't speak for newer models. Hang in there, I hope you find something affordable and acceptable.

I wouldnt risk it.  Drill the door

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 08:02:43 pm »
I did the same thing to a fridge around 5 years ago. I was drilling through the side and hit a freon line. DOH! I know how you feel bro. The next one I got, I decided to be safe and drilled through the door. At least both of these were old fridges that I got for free.
Dan Chisholm

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 09:01:34 am »
I thought I found a decent cheap replacement but it didn't have enough usable space for 4 kegs...

Thanks for the reassurance. I am so mad at myself. Gonna be moving kegs inside today which is just annoying. I was also going to brew but now I am in no rush.

It seems that drilling through the door for CO2 would make using the door very inconvenient. I am hoping the next fridge I get is a bit newer so that I can find some documentation and drawings.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 09:20:51 am »
I thought I found a decent cheap replacement but it didn't have enough usable space for 4 kegs...

Thanks for the reassurance. I am so mad at myself. Gonna be moving kegs inside today which is just annoying. I was also going to brew but now I am in no rush.

It seems that drilling through the door for CO2 would make using the door very inconvenient. I am hoping the next fridge I get is a bit newer so that I can find some documentation and drawings.

Build a keezer.  HD has a 7cf for 170 or so.  Should hold 4 kegs

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 09:33:09 am »
The trick is to use a hole saw and only cut the thin skin of the fridge first. Then dig out the insulation with a small pick carefully exploring for lines, before completely drilling through. If you find a line you can usually push it out of the way before finishing up.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 09:48:52 am »
The trick is to use a hole saw and only cut the thin skin of the fridge first. Then dig out the insulation with a small pick carefully exploring for lines, before completely drilling through. If you find a line you can usually push it out of the way before finishing up.

The copper that I hit was directly against the outer wall and did not push away at all. It seemed almost to be a reservoir not a line but I don't really know...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 10:09:10 am »

^^THIS^^.  That's what I should've included in my post. That's the way I did it back then.
Jon H.