Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I've got a yeast infection... Please help. No really  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
I've got a yeast infection... Please help. No really
« on: July 02, 2014, 05:44:20 pm »
Hi all. I'm just cracked open a batch that I bottled 3 weeks ago and I'm getting gushers and very unflavored bland and a bit funky beer. I'm pretty sure I got a wild yeast infection. My questions are, would you dump the bottles or just PBW them good, same question for equipment? The whole batch seems to be affected so I'm guessing it was either in the fermenter or some stray yeast go into my bottling bucket. I'm thinking that wild yeast shouldn't be cause to replace equipment but I'm looking for opinions from those who've been through it.

Thanks!

Stevo
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: I've got a yeast infection... Please help. No really
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 05:48:53 pm »
I would be reticent to reuse those bottles, but not so much with the equipment.  Bottles are free, mostly. 
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 05:52:53 pm »
You should review your yeast management practices in addition to reviewing your sanitation and wort handling practices.   The airborne wild microflora count is much higher in the spring and summer than it is during the cold months.  I am willing to bet that the infection was pitched with the yeast culture. 

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 05:55:27 pm »
the local "fizzy bug" in my parts sticks to the sides of the bottle even better than just about any pesky Belgian yeast.  Someone with suspect sanitation practices brings such a bottle to just about every club meeting I go to. 
If it doesn't rinse off, I have soaked/scrubbed and re-used bottles, but it's generally not worth the effort for me to scrub with so many bottles on hand.  YMMV.  So, if you want to do the work, I would not worry about being able to sanitize your bottles again.

You should also not have a problem sanitizing any equipment that came in contact with it, but then again, how expensive is a little tubing and a new bottle filler?  $5?  And review all sanitation practices, as usual.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 06:14:39 pm »
Look up the time temp profile to sterilize the bottles. Put foil over the opening, something like 375F for an hour and they are sterile. Leave the foil on , cool slowly so that the glass does not become brittle.

Or just pitch them and get new ones.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 06:15:56 pm »
I typically PBW my bottles a week or prior to bottling, store them upside down in a fast rack and cover them with a new trash bag. I have to admit I do not Rerinse them before hitting them with star San so there could be a vector there. The other could be an older PET fermenter. I did rinse it and star San it before I used it but it had been easily 6 months since I used it last. I typically soak all my bottling equipment including dismantling my bucket spigot, for an extended time in starsan. I suppose something could have wafted into my bottling bucket. As far as pitching, this was a direct pitch from a white labs vial into a 2.5 gallon batch. FG was spot on, and I sprayed the vial with starsan. It's just that in the past when I've encountered a suspect wild yeast infection, it took a month or two to affect the beer. This one blew through my brew in a little under 3 weeks. Could have been a very hungry yeast infection I suppose.

Or just pitch them and get new ones.
I do believe that will be my immediate course of action. rather not take a chance
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:20:16 pm by swlusk »
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 07:51:06 pm »
Contaminated brews don't typically give you gushers that quickly. To me, my first thought is that the beer wasn't completely finished at bottling time, or maybe overprimed. Is every bottle a gusher, or just certain ones? Incompletely mixed priming sugar is another possibility.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 05:51:29 am »
Contaminated brews don't typically give you gushers that quickly. To me, my first thought is that the beer wasn't completely finished at bottling time, or maybe overprimed. Is every bottle a gusher, or just certain ones? Incompletely mixed priming sugar is another possibility.
That is always a possibility. The recipe was a mild using WLP007. I primed 2.25 gallons with 1.6 ounces of corn sugar. After carefully reviewing my notes, I was a little off on the time frame. I bottled on 6/7/14 so it's been about a month. I should also clarify, my beer is in fact not gushing at this time but when I pour it, it has A LOT of carbonation and is starting to taste a bit sharp, tart. All of the bottles I've tried so far seem to have the same problem. Could I have gotten some stray yeasties in the fermenter, possible when I was chilling?
Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 06:12:46 am »
I'm likely in the minority here but my best guess would be the beers are just over-carbed.  The tart flavor can be caused by the CO2.  And the CO2 could be masking any other flavors making them seem bland.

I'd also reuse the bottles.  Clean them well, run them through the dishwasher and dry at the highest temp it has.  They are glass so the can be cleaned up.  Sanitize normally before the next use.

Good luck with the next batch.  I'm sure it will turn out fine.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 06:15:05 am »
I wouldn't dump the bottle. Heat sterilize them like Jeff mentions.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 08:30:31 am »
This sounds like a good idea. I'm all for every ounce of prevention I can manage. I believe I'm going to go ahead and replace my bottling bucket as well although I think I'm going to use a ported carboy instead. Much smaller chance of airborne buggies getting in there. I'm also quite intrigued with the Better Bottle closed loop, O2 free transfer system I've been reading about. It's a bit pricey, but for a guy who can't keg, it might give me one more advantage in controlling staling, and bugs. But definitely gonna step up my bottle cleaning awareness. I thought I was doing good by PBWing the bottles, then rinsing and sanitizing. Although as I said earlier, There is a few weeks in between cleaning and bottling so maybe I should clean and possibly heat sterilize the day before.
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 11:15:14 am »
This sounds like a good idea. I'm all for every ounce of prevention I can manage. I believe I'm going to go ahead and replace my bottling bucket as well although I think I'm going to use a ported carboy instead. Much smaller chance of airborne buggies getting in there. I'm also quite intrigued with the Better Bottle closed loop, O2 free transfer system I've been reading about. It's a bit pricey, but for a guy who can't keg, it might give me one more advantage in controlling staling, and bugs. But definitely gonna step up my bottle cleaning awareness. I thought I was doing good by PBWing the bottles, then rinsing and sanitizing. Although as I said earlier, There is a few weeks in between cleaning and bottling so maybe I should clean and possibly heat sterilize the day before.

I would always opt for sanitizing just prior to bottling...I know that bacteria doesn't fall upward, but it can be blown in past or at least onto the lip of the the bottles.  I am guessing that it is acetobacter or lacto contamination based on the sour indicator, but unless you have a microscope, you probably will never know.  A PBW soak and a rinse, then a sanitizer should make your bottles fine to use again.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 03:07:47 pm »
Interesting followup. I may have been wrong about an infection. erockrph may have indeed been right about this being a carbing error on my part and I just overcarbed the beer. That in combination with some green flavors possibly. This was the first beer I've brewed with WLP007 so I am definitely unfamiliar with it's flavor characteristics. When all is said and done, the beer is starting to mellow out. I'd have bet money that the off flavors we're some sort of bug... but I thought that type of issue doesn't typically fade with time. Anyway gonna let them ride, and see what they turn into. :)
Corripe Cervisiam