Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mead recipe  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Mead recipe
« on: July 03, 2014, 06:54:33 pm »
SO i need to make a friend of mine some mead, He did a lot of Electrical work for me and its part of the payback.  Im looking for some suggestions and tweaks but im thinking the following.

1 Gallon of Honey
4 G of water to Aprox 1.085 or so.
de-Chlorinate water with p meta(amount?)

P Meta to control Wild yeast once mixed(how much?)
1tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp Acid Blend(?)
Aerate

Pitch 2 packages of 47B wine yeast 1 day after p meta
Ferment at 70-75F
Add 1tsp yeast nutrient 12-24 hrs after yeast pitch
Aerate(?)

Ferment for 7-14 days until final gravity has been reached.  Expected to ferment dry to 1.000 or below.

I will probably Oak the entire batch to add tannins and may split off a few gallons to add fruit too.

Any thoughts or recommendations on amounts would be great.

Thanks
jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Mead recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 09:07:48 pm »
No need for Campden for wild yeast control in a mead. There isn't anything really of concern that would be growing on/in honey.

Read up on "Staggered yeast nutrient" additions, it will make a huge improvement in the quality of your mead, especially when it's young.

I'd save the Acid Blend until after it is done fermenting and adjust to taste. A normal mead fermentation tends to drive the pH down, potentially to the point where it may start to affect yeast activity. In a dry mead there may be enough acidity produced by the yeast where you don't need to adjust it.

You want to aerate/degas 2-3 times a day for the first week or so. You'll know when to stop your aeration regime when you don't get much foaming when you aerate.

I'd ferment mid-to-low 60's to keep it clean.

If you use staggered yeast nutrient, you could possibly have enjoyable mead within a month or two. But it could well be a year or longer before it starts to hit its prime. Mead generally takes a lot longer than a beer of comparable gravity to be ready.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 07:01:10 am »
OK, so 5g of Yeast Nutrient at pitch with aeration.  Every 24 hours add another 5g of Nutrient and Aerate until end of fermentation?
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 07:18:39 am »
Best to keep fermentation down around 65º.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 07:22:04 am »
Best to keep fermentation down around 65º.

Sadly with my current lack of ferm control and the weahter, im not sure i can get it below 70.  It will be what it will be sadly till i finish my brewery.

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 06:55:28 pm »
Basically everything Eric said.  D47 is good to leave on the lees.  If you want to have a quicker turn, 71b-1122 may be the way to go.  If you can do a swamp cooler to get below 70dF, do it.  I'ts worth the effort to ferment in the low 60's to minimize the creation of fusals.  Nutrient & degas to 50% sugar depletion, typically 3-4 days.  Total fermentation should be around 30 days to complete and let the yeast do some clean up.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 07:06:33 pm »
This is from Curt Stock's "Melomels for Dummies" document, that is required reading for fruit meads, but worth the read regardless. Here's his approach to SNA:

SNA was developed by the commercial wine industry as a way of supplying nutrients as the yeast needs it during the growth phase – kind of a just-in-time delivery. Healthy yeast are essential for a clean fermentation with less chance of off-flavors or the production of higher alcohols (fusels) which can give mead a burning sensation on the back of the throat – the “rocket fuel” sensation.

I prefer to use Fermaid-K (yeast energizer) and diammonium phosphate or DAP (yeast nutrient) for adding the additional nutrient requirements of the yeast during fermentation. One teaspoon of Fermaid-K and two teaspoons DAP should be adequate for a 5 gallon batch. You can mix them together for a stock blend and add them using the following schedule:

Add ¾ teaspoon yeast energizer/nutrient mix immediately after pitching yeast.
Add ¾ teaspoon yeast energizer/nutrient mix 24 hours after fermentation begins.
Add ¾ teaspoon yeast energizer/nutrient mix 48 hours after fermentation begins.
Add ¾ teaspoon yeast energizer/nutrient mix after 30% of the sugar has been depleted.

Personally, I just add the first addition to the must when I mix it with water, then add the remaining ones at days 1, 2, and 3. His amounts work in melomels, but if this is just a straight mead with no fruit, I'd probably bump these additions up a bit (maybe a full teaspoon for each addition). The fruit in melomels does provide some additional nutrient that you won't be getting in a straight honey mead.

Fermaid K works great, but you could use another yeast nutrient if that's what you have. I've used the Wyeast nutrient that I use for beer in place of the Fermaid with no ill effect.
Eric B.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 07:43:34 pm »
Thanks Man, ill go with a teaspoon at day 0-3.  I have fermaid k so it should work perfectly.  Ill mix it with a little water to get the DAP dissolved and then pitch.  Should i aerate at the same time?   Also, i have 2 packages of dry wine yeast, should i re hydrate it in water the same way i do fermentis yeast or is there a different protocol?

Cheers,
Jeff

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 09:17:58 pm »
Thanks Man, ill go with a teaspoon at day 0-3.  I have fermaid k so it should work perfectly.  Ill mix it with a little water to get the DAP dissolved and then pitch.  Should i aerate at the same time?   Also, i have 2 packages of dry wine yeast, should i re hydrate it in water the same way i do fermentis yeast or is there a different protocol?

Cheers,
Jeff
De-gas (beat it up, don't just stir), *before* you add nutrients.  There is so much CO2 in the must during the first week that adding anything dry or granular and then whipping it up will result in a very dramatic "volcano" effect of CO2 coming out of solution, that can make one holy mess.  It's almost worth doing just one time, to see what happens.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 09:25:39 pm »
  It's almost worth doing just one time, to see what happens.

This part isnt super helpful to my cleaning times;)

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 09:26:28 pm »
I have a fizz-X.  so i will "whip it good" before adding the nutrients.

Cheers,
Jeff

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 09:35:42 pm »

Cheers,
Jeff

As said before, degas & aerate before your nutrient additions to avoid a Krakatoa reenactment in your fermenter. Speaking of fermenters, what size were you planning on using for a primary? You want a lot of headspace so you don't have issues with degassing. I don't usually do 5 gallon batches, but if I did, I'd probably want to use a 7.9 gallon wine fermenter instead of the usual 6.5 gallon bucket/carboy.

Rehydrate your yeast per the instructions. If you can use Go-Ferm (a rehydration nutrient), it is highly recommended. If you don't, you should still be OK - especially since you're pitching two packs.
Eric B.