Author Topic: Mold?  (Read 554 times)

Offline BrodyR

  • Assistant Brewer
  • ***
  • Posts: 176
  • Philadelphia, PA
    • View Profile
Mold?
« on: July 04, 2014, 08:48:19 AM »
The other day I transferred a Russian Imperial Stout into a bourbon barrel. In the process I siphoned some beer into a pint class to sip and take a gravity reading. After letting it sit out for a day or two a thick layer of white mold has formed. I'm concerned that not only is my batch infected but that I just infected my barrel! Anyone experience this?

A have a photo but I'm not sure how to upload it here so heres a link:
https://imageshack.com/i/muw67cj

Should I dump?

Offline morticaixavier

  • I must live here
  • **********
  • Posts: 7311
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Mold?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 09:04:05 AM »
It looks like a pellicle which is not mold thankfully. It might have been introduced in the glass. The is one way to find out, pull a bit out of the barrel and taste it. If it is infected than yes, the barrel is infected too and you can start your sour beer project now.[emoji1]
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

Offline Jeff M

  • Brewmaster
  • *****
  • Posts: 821
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
    • View Profile
Re: Mold?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 09:05:12 AM »
What was the gravity reading?  could it be krausen?  Doesnt look like mold, not hairy enough.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline BrodyR

  • Assistant Brewer
  • ***
  • Posts: 176
  • Philadelphia, PA
    • View Profile
Re: Mold?
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 09:14:08 AM »
What was the gravity reading?  could it be krausen?  Doesnt look like mold, not hairy enough.

Shouldn't be krausen since I brewed it 3 months ago - gravity is 1.009 which came down from 1.020 a couple months ago when I transferred to a secondary so it's possible somethings eating at it.

Offline BrodyR

  • Assistant Brewer
  • ***
  • Posts: 176
  • Philadelphia, PA
    • View Profile
Re: Mold?
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
It looks like a pellicle which is not mold thankfully. It might have been introduced in the glass. The is one way to find out, pull a bit out of the barrel and taste it. If it is infected than yes, the barrel is infected too and you can start your sour beer project now.[emoji1]

Hmm, glass is possible - it didn't really taste sour. If it doesn't seem like a health risk I may keep it rolling and move a batch of cider in next.

Offline brewinhard

  • Brewer
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
    • View Profile
Re: Mold?
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 06:50:05 AM »
Seems unlikely that a pellicle would form in that short of a time.

Offline breslinp

  • Cellarman
  • **
  • Posts: 31
    • View Profile
Re: Mold?
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 07:00:23 AM »
I would not worry about your batch. Looks like something in the glass or airborne.

I would imagine a commercial brew left in a glass would look the same after 2-3 days.

Offline 1vertical

  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • ********
  • Posts: 2601
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
    • View Profile
Re: Mold?
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 01:53:41 PM »
Seems unlikely that a pellicle would form in that short of a time.
only  takes a couple days...check this starter....3-4 days max.....(bottom post)
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=5579.0
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline BrodyR

  • Assistant Brewer
  • ***
  • Posts: 176
  • Philadelphia, PA
    • View Profile
Re: Mold?
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 12:43:32 PM »
I would not worry about your batch. Looks like something in the glass or airborne.

I would imagine a commercial brew left in a glass would look the same after 2-3 days.

You're probably right - I just let a sample in another glass sit out for some days and there is no sign of anything.

Offline Tim Thomssen

  • Cellarman
  • **
  • Posts: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Mold?
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 03:55:37 PM »
1.009 seems like an awfully low FG for an imperial stout, makes me think infection.

Offline chezteth

  • Brewer
  • ****
  • Posts: 439
    • View Profile
Re: Mold?
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 12:00:50 PM »
What was your OG? I agree that 1.009 sounds low for a RIS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk