Author Topic: Mold?  (Read 580 times)

Offline BrodyR

  • Assistant Brewer
  • ***
  • Posts: 201
  • Philadelphia, PA
    • View Profile
Mold?
« on: July 04, 2014, 08:48:19 AM »
The other day I transferred a Russian Imperial Stout into a bourbon barrel. In the process I siphoned some beer into a pint class to sip and take a gravity reading. After letting it sit out for a day or two a thick layer of white mold has formed. I'm concerned that not only is my batch infected but that I just infected my barrel! Anyone experience this?

A have a photo but I'm not sure how to upload it here so heres a link:
https://imageshack.com/i/muw67cj

Should I dump?

Offline morticaixavier

  • I must live here
  • **********
  • Posts: 7407
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Mold?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 09:04:05 AM »
It looks like a pellicle which is not mold thankfully. It might have been introduced in the glass. The is one way to find out, pull a bit out of the barrel and taste it. If it is infected than yes, the barrel is infected too and you can start your sour beer project now.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jeff M

  • Brewmaster
  • *****
  • Posts: 821
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
    • View Profile
Re: Mold?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 09:05:12 AM »
What was the gravity reading?  could it be krausen?  Doesnt look like mold, not hairy enough.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline BrodyR

  • Assistant Brewer
  • ***
  • Posts: 201
  • Philadelphia, PA
    • View Profile
Re: Mold?
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 09:14:08 AM »
What was the gravity reading?  could it be krausen?  Doesnt look like mold, not hairy enough.

Shouldn't be krausen since I brewed it 3 months ago - gravity is 1.009 which came down from 1.020 a couple months ago when I transferred to a secondary so it's possible somethings eating at it.

Offline BrodyR

  • Assistant Brewer
  • ***
  • Posts: 201
  • Philadelphia, PA
    • View Profile
Re: Mold?
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
It looks like a pellicle which is not mold thankfully. It might have been introduced in the glass. The is one way to find out, pull a bit out of the barrel and taste it. If it is infected than yes, the barrel is infected too and you can start your sour beer project now.

Hmm, glass is possible - it didn't really taste sour. If it doesn't seem like a health risk I may keep it rolling and move a batch of cider in next.

Offline brewinhard

  • Brewer
  • ****
  • Posts: 433
    • View Profile
Re: Mold?
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 06:50:05 AM »
Seems unlikely that a pellicle would form in that short of a time.

Offline breslinp

  • Cellarman
  • **
  • Posts: 31
    • View Profile
Re: Mold?
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 07:00:23 AM »
I would not worry about your batch. Looks like something in the glass or airborne.

I would imagine a commercial brew left in a glass would look the same after 2-3 days.

Offline 1vertical

  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • ********
  • Posts: 2608
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
    • View Profile
Re: Mold?
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 01:53:41 PM »
Seems unlikely that a pellicle would form in that short of a time.
only  takes a couple days...check this starter....3-4 days max.....(bottom post)
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=5579.0
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline BrodyR

  • Assistant Brewer
  • ***
  • Posts: 201
  • Philadelphia, PA
    • View Profile
Re: Mold?
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 12:43:32 PM »
I would not worry about your batch. Looks like something in the glass or airborne.

I would imagine a commercial brew left in a glass would look the same after 2-3 days.

You're probably right - I just let a sample in another glass sit out for some days and there is no sign of anything.

Offline Tim Thomssen

  • Cellarman
  • **
  • Posts: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Mold?
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 03:55:37 PM »
1.009 seems like an awfully low FG for an imperial stout, makes me think infection.

Offline chezteth

  • Brewer
  • ****
  • Posts: 441
    • View Profile
Re: Mold?
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 12:00:50 PM »
What was your OG? I agree that 1.009 sounds low for a RIS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk