Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Foam  (Read 4067 times)

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
Re: Foam
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 01:47:16 am »
I've had some too-aged homebrews do that. I think maybe poor storage and maybe poor attenuation at bottling have had roles.

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 11:58:49 am »
NG actually recalled their most recent batches of BW because people complained it was over carbonated and too foamy.  I've had it a few times and thought it was one of the best BWs I've ever had.

If you like big, moussey foam.  Pour yourself a De Dolle Arabier.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 12:05:44 pm »
NG actually recalled their most recent batches of BW because people complained it was over carbonated and too foamy.  I've had it a few times and thought it was one of the best BWs I've ever had.

If you like big, moussey foam.  Pour yourself a De Dolle Arabier.

+1. De Dolle is such a great brewery. I love everything they make. Their Stille Nacht is the most drinkable 12% abv I've ever had. Dangerous.
Jon H.

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 12:25:28 pm »
Thankfully, the price tag of De Dolle prevents me from drinking more than a few a year.  I try to buy a mixed six of Stille Nacht, Arabier and Oerbier once per year as a treat.  Then I realize I could have made 10 gallons of beer for the same price.

I want to use their yeast (wy3942), but haven't gotten around to it.  Anyone here use it?  Review?

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2014, 12:53:20 pm »
One thing that makes me think they are using additives is because of the lactic acid commonly present in tart belinnerweiss biers usual demolishes head retention.

The lacto sour (3.2pH) fruited homebrew I'm drinking makes about two fingers of foam and lasts for about three minutes. It laces the glass and a small amount of foam is present for the duration of the beer.  No hops.  No additives.  Not sure if that is considered good head retention, but it's good enough for me.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 01:32:36 pm »

One thing that makes me think they are using additives is because of the lactic acid commonly present in tart belinnerweiss biers usual demolishes head retention.

The lacto sour (3.2pH) fruited homebrew I'm drinking makes about two fingers of foam and lasts for about three minutes. It laces the glass and a small amount of foam is present for the duration of the beer.  No hops.  No additives.  Not sure if that is considered good head retention, but it's good enough for me.

Cool. My Berlinners never have long lasting foam for some reason. Always blamed it in the lactic souring.

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2014, 11:04:05 am »

Cool. My Berlinners never have long lasting foam for some reason. Always blamed it in the lactic souring.

That could be because you're a good boy and don't add things like melanoidin, special roast and fruit to your Berliner.  I'm not even allowed to call my beer a Berliner. I get stuck with the moniker of sour fruited wheat beer.   :-\

The commercial Berliners from Germany produce ample head, but I wouldn't call them sour.  Tart and refreshing is more like it.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 02:25:53 pm »
I had another bottle of New Glarus Berliner Weiss today.  It poured almost as high and rocky, but definitely was highly carbonated.  I had to stop and top off the glass at least four times.  Head retention was good and left moderate lacing.  The beer did not give the impression of added lactic acid, but was lightly sour and very clean.  It reminds me of Berliner Kindl, but I haven't had one of those for at least a decade.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2014, 02:49:44 pm »
that head was so rocky I saw silvester
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2014, 03:53:53 pm »
I had another bottle of New Glarus Berliner Weiss today.  It poured almost as high and rocky, but definitely was highly carbonated.  I had to stop and top off the glass at least four times.  Head retention was good and left moderate lacing.  The beer did not give the impression of added lactic acid, but was lightly sour and very clean.  It reminds me of Berliner Kindl, but I haven't had one of those for at least a decade.

Not many Floridians get to taste New Glarus beer.  They only distribute in Wisconsin and they are easily the finest all around brewery in the state.  They are famous for making fruit beers that actually taste like the fruit on the label without using flavor extracts.  They have very reasonable prices and make a good effort to conform to style. 

Their recent beer called "Sour Wild Ale" was partially spontaneously fermented in barrels and was every bit as good as other sour wild ales that cost 4x as much.  They plan to produce a wider variety of sours in the future.  They produce a silly amount of beer for a craft brewery, but don't intend to sell out of state.  Wisconsin can drink your state under the table and has been doing so since 1856.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 03:58:05 pm by Kinetic »

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2014, 05:02:45 pm »

Not many Floridians get to taste New Glarus beer.  They only distribute in Wisconsin and they are easily the finest all around brewery in the state.  They are famous for making fruit beers that actually taste like the fruit on the label without using flavor extracts.  They have very reasonable prices and make a good effort to conform to style. 

Their recent beer called "Sour Wild Ale" was partially spontaneously fermented in barrels and was every bit as good as other sour wild ales that cost 4x as much.  They plan to produce a wider variety of sours in the future.  They produce a silly amount of beer for a craft brewery, but don't intend to sell out of state.  Wisconsin can drink your state under the table and has been doing so since 1856.  ;)

Yes, I think New Glarus has an awesome business plan as well as great beer.  You can find Spotted Cow at every corner bar in Wisconsin, but their sour fruit beers are internationally famous in spite of only local availability.
I got these beers in a trade for some Cigar City and other Florida beers at NHC.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995