Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Looking for documents supporting (dry hopping adding perceived sweetness)  (Read 2517 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
If anything, hop flavor and aroma often increase the perception of bitterness.

Absolutely. I just feel that in a split batch IPA, half done with traditional IPA hops the other half a 'fruit bomb' IPA (lots or all fruity/tropical hops) , the 'fruit bomb' half gives me a perceived sweetness that I know can't possibly be there, but I perceive it that way anyway. Actually when I use fruity hops I deliberately reduce the crystal malt a bit to account for it.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)

Absolutely. I just feel that in a split batch IPA, half done with traditional IPA hops the other half a 'fruit bomb' IPA (lots or all fruity/tropical hops) , the 'fruit bomb' half gives me a perceived sweetness that I know can't possibly be there, but I perceive it that way anyway. Actually when I use fruity hops I deliberately reduce the crystal malt a bit to account for it.

Agreed...

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware

I can see that being true.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958