Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Si Hoses & Camlocks  (Read 2656 times)

Offline Dave King

• Cellarman
    • BIER Website
Si Hoses & Camlocks
« on: July 04, 2014, 05:59:15 pm »
I'm about to order a bunch of Camlock QD's and Si hose to upgrade my system with.  1/2" hose and 1/2" npt males look right.  I'm thinking female Camlocks with 1/2" hose barbs, but it looks like that may be somewhat of a flow restriction.  But is it significant?  Should I go to the next larger barb, the 5/8"?  How about hose clamps, just use the usual SS worm drive type?  Thanks!  Brew On!
Dave King, President of BIER

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: Si Hoses & Camlocks
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 06:02:19 pm »
I personally prefer the female camlock with female 1/2 NPt with a 1/2 male barb with male NPT thread.  It gives more heft, more area to hold, and better flow because you are right, the camlock barbs are very narrow.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Dave King

• Cellarman
    • BIER Website
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 06:31:08 pm »
Jeff, you stretch the 1/2" ID Si hose over the 1/2" NPT?  I'm surprised it's not too much stress.  It isn't hard to accomplish, and the hose doesn't fail after some time?  Bargain Fittings web site shows this as an option, but I was concerned there's too much interference.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 06:35:32 pm »
Nope, the 1/2 Silicone hose fits on a 1/2 barb perfectly. you should of course use smooth band hose clamps to keep the hose on the barb.  I have not had any failures.  The closest i have come is to much pressure from a pump causing a hose to balloon, and that is not a barb issue.  Thats a careless person issue:)
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 06:36:10 pm »

Offline nbarmbrewer

• Cellarman

Offline Dave King

• Cellarman
    • BIER Website
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 02:23:29 pm »
Nbarmbrewer,
It says "1/2" High Flow Hose Barb," but that's clearly a larger barb, no wonder they get more flow.  I'm looking at Bargain Fittings, and they suggest using 5/8" barbs for better flow, but you have to add a fitting to get there;

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=36_39_61

That makes it over $5 more per fitting.  The re-design from Brewers Hardware is $3.20 more.  Either way, I question the Si hose stretch to that bigger barb.  Do you use 1/2 Si hoses? 

Is there really a significant flow reduction?  My runs are short, 7' max. hose length, using a Chugger in-line pump.  I used 1/2" O.D. vinyl in the past, and I'm hoping for somewhat more flow, but it's not a big deal.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 02:28:36 pm by dking3 »

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 07:19:14 pm »
I calculated the headloss due to that small passage through those fittings and found that it was something like 2 inches of headloss. Not enough to worry about. Don't worry about it.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Dave King

• Cellarman
    • BIER Website
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 07:27:24 pm »
Martin,

You're the man, problem solved by solid Engineering analysis, can't beat it.  Thanks a ton.

You probably don't remember, but we met at NHC in Grand Rapids, where you liked my Dad's Brown Ale.  You make a great FBI Agent, too!

Offline joe6pack

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 07:45:22 pm »
I use the BIG C camlock, with his 1/2" silocone tubing, works great -
http://brewhardware.com/fittings-75/102-camlock-disconnects

Offline Dave King

• Cellarman
    • BIER Website
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 09:07:25 pm »
Joe6Pack,

I'm sure Big C CamLock's work great with 1/2" Si tubing, I recently found that a friend in Florida uses them, and is very happy with them, but if there's little pressure drop with the simple 1/2 barb, I'm going to just go for them. 

Thanks to everyone who responded, and I hope this discussion has helped more than just me.  So much of good brewing is knowing which variables are important, and which can slide.  This is one more small lesson.

Offline nbarmbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 10:08:42 am »
Nbarmbrewer,
It says "1/2" High Flow Hose Barb," but that's clearly a larger barb, no wonder they get more flow.  I'm looking at Bargain Fittings, and they suggest using 5/8" barbs for better flow, but you have to add a fitting to get there;

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=36_39_61

That makes it over $5 more per fitting.  The re-design from Brewers Hardware is $3.20 more.  Either way, I question the Si hose stretch to that bigger barb.  Do you use 1/2 Si hoses? 

Is there really a significant flow reduction?  My runs are short, 7' max. hose length, using a Chugger in-line pump.  I used 1/2" O.D. vinyl in the past, and I'm hoping for somewhat more flow, but it's not a big deal.

I use 1/2" I.D. hoses max length about 7'. The barbs are still pretty tight going into the hose but i still use a hose clamp on it for the "Just in case".