Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: newbie question about priming  (Read 1432 times)

Offline peteck36

• 1st Kit
newbie question about priming
« on: July 05, 2014, 12:12:05 pm »
I'm working on my first batch ( 5 gallons of IPA) and am trying to figure out how much dextrose I should add....I've seen 4ozs, 5oz, and everything in between.  It seems that there isn't one simple answer out there. Can someone help me?  My beer is fermenting at about 70 degrees F (give or take) according to the self stick thermometer I have attached to my fermenting bucket. When I prepare the mixture, how much water should I melt the sugar in, before adding it to the bottom of the priming bucket?

Thanks for helping the new guy on the block!

Peter

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
Re: newbie question about priming
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 12:22:02 pm »
Recommendations for your first batch:

Don't bottle it too soon.  No sooner than 2.5 weeks from brew day.  If you plan to dry hop in a secondary vessel, don't do it sooner than 2 weeks from brew day.

On bottling day, determine how much sugar to add to the bottling bucket based on how much beer you actually transferred to the bottling bucket.  There are plenty of internet based calculators that will tell you how much sugar to add or you can ask here when you get to that point.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 01:19:22 pm »
I suggest going to howtobrew.com and checking out the free book on line. Read the section on bottling.

The amount to add depends on how much beer and desired level of carbonation. Dont consider the beer done by a time line or by airlock activity. Two gravity checks a few days apart that are the same number means you are probably done. Then bottle a couple days after that. Two or three remaining points can make a big difference and you end up with overcarbonation.

Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 01:24:36 pm »
Although I may vary it a bit by style, in general my ROT is 1 oz. of corn sugar per gal. of beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 01:53:17 pm »

Although I may vary it a bit by style, in general my ROT is 1 oz. of corn sugar per gal. of beer.

+1. Easy math

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 10:03:16 pm »
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

There are too many variables to give you an absolute rule of thumb. Use a calculator like the one above and you'll be much better off for it.

I dissolve my sugar in the least amount of water needed. Generally its an ounce or two of water for every ounce of sugar.
Make sure you stir in your dissolved priming sugar with a sanitized spoon. Otherwise it may not mix evenly, and some bottles will be overcarbonated and some will be under.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 11:03:53 pm »
The average homebrewer uses too much priming sugar.  4 oz sugar, or 2/3 cup, in 5 gallons is plenty, I promise.  Dissolve it in about 2 cups water (plus or minus a little), bring it to a boil, cool off a little, and dump it into your bottling bucket.  Then rack your beer onto it.  Pretty easy.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.