Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Has anyone tried the Wonder Pump ?  (Read 6359 times)

Offline Boston Brewer

• Cellarman
Has anyone tried the Wonder Pump ?
« on: April 15, 2010, 02:51:23 pm »
Hi -
My  auto-siphon died and I've been looking for something better.
I was at the local big-box home store the other day and
saw the "Wonder Pump"

http://www.amazon.com/American-Specialty-Wonder-Pump/dp/B0000BYM3Z/ref=sr_1_3/175-3914856-3796662?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1271356343&sr=8-3

the package suggests all kinds of uses but nothing food related. The hose is some kind of plastic tubing with a copper fitting on the end. Has anyone used one of these to move wort or beer between vessels?

Thanks,

Dave

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Has anyone tried the Wonder Pump ?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 06:12:16 pm »
No, but the Wonder Bra can really do wonders  ;)

Seriously though, something similar was recently discussed in another thread on here...

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=1592.msg19260#msg19260
Joe

Offline bluedog

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 07:29:16 am »
I have used it and it works fine, but I like the autosiphon better. One advantage is the little cap on the end of the autosiphon that prevents picking up too much trub. Get the 1/2 one and it moves 5 gallons pretty quick.

Offline Boston Brewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 05:20:33 pm »
Well ...

for what it's worth I went with a new auto siphon. My results with the Wonder Pump were less than wonderful ..
I found it very difficult to get the siphon going on a reliable and predictable bases ...

Dave :-\

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 06:46:15 pm »
I also need to find something better than the autosiphon.  This is the third time my plastic autosiphon has cracked on me. I’m playing with different ideas.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 07:29:16 am »
dmzlater, I'm surprised that you had a hard time starting the siphon with it, I have one and I just shake it vigorously and it primes that quick.  Just make sure the outlet is lower and you shouldn't have a problem.  I don't use it anymore though... it transfers too fast for my liking, just a guess I would say 5 gallons in a minute, or less.  So you better be on your toes with it!  :o   :o   :D

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 09:30:39 am »
I am interested in hearing people's experience with the self priming pump to avoid the lifting, moving, and siphoning of full carboys.  I want to put the fermenters in their place and pump wort into them and pump beer back out.  I don't want to lift to siphon.

Otherwise, is there anyone using their March pump to move beer out of carboys or does everyone think that it would overly oxygenate the beer.

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 01:18:29 pm »
that's exactly why i don't use the march pump to transfer beer, because i don't want to risk oxidation and or sanitation.  On my SS conical fermenters and glass carboys, i use a stainless steel racking crane attached to a clear plastic hose to transfer the beer to a keg or what ever other vessel i need the beer in.  I use a cork with two holes drilled, one hole for the racking crane, and the other hole for the CO2 inlet hose that exerts pressure and pushes the beer to the keg; it works even if one vessel is not lower than the other. Yet i am sometimes cautious to use CO2 pressure when applying it when racking out of my glass carboys.  I just sometimes get freaked out about glass exploding. 
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 01:22:59 am »
We use pumps every day to transfer beer from our fermenters to our bright tanks.  There is no harm in using a pump to transfer finished product, as long as the the materials are SS or plastic.  Use a Grant to sanitize everything with and it couldn't be easier.
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com