Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sulfur Dioxide and Brettanomyces  (Read 1985 times)

Offline thebrewedpalate

• 1st Kit
  • Check out my blog www.thebrewedpalate.com
    • The Brewed Palate
Sulfur Dioxide and Brettanomyces
« on: July 07, 2014, 05:48:17 pm »
I brewed an all grain rye saison yesterday and plan on splitting the batch between 2 3-gallon better bottle fermenters after primary fermentation and adding dried apricots and Brettanomyces Bruxellensis (WLP650) to one half. The dried apricots that I bought have Sulfur Dioxide as a preservative. Is there any reason to be concerned that the Sulfur Dioxide will inhibit the Brettanomyces Bruxellensis? if so, how should I prep the dried apricots before adding them to the fermenter?

Cheers!
Check out my blog www.thebrewedpalate.com

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Sulfur Dioxide and Brettanomyces
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 07:00:27 pm »
Since sulfites are used in winemaking to kill wild yeast strains ( I suspect the purpose on dried fruit is, in part, the same) then I would say that it would have some effect. That being said, you are pitching a much larger amount than would naturally occur on wine grapes and I am guessing the amount of SO2 you are pitching is way less, so I bet it would just slow it down some. If you can't get your hand on unsulfited apricots in time you can soak and drain them a few times, that will reduce the SO2 level. If you are sharing your beer be sure to tell people that it contains sulfites as some are allergic.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 07:49:05 pm »
Maybe add the apricots first, then add the Brett after secondary fermentation has kicked off? The SO2 will likely be diluted to low enough concentrations once you add the apricots in secondary, but fermentation activity would likely blow some of it off to further reduce the concentration if you're really concerned about it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 08:00:15 am »
Adding the fruit to the beer will dilute the sulfites below the inhibition level for yeast (brett and your sacch strain).

I know breweries use sulfites to kill wild yeast on fruit/veggies before adding to clean beer (Flat Tail in Corvallis comes to mind).

As far as prep for the fruit:

The fruit will add fermentable sugar for consumption by either your primary sacch strain or brett. If you want brett to ferment these sugars, make sure you leave as much sacch behind as possible. Fine and cold crash in a keg if possible, then pitch a healthy slurry of brett. No kegs; no worries, just fine in primary before transfer.

If you want to turn this around fairly quickly (or if you started with a fairly hoppy saison), I would chop the fruit or puree with a bit of lemon juice and water.

If time is not an issue, or if you might add lactic acid bacteria for acidity, just chuck 'em in whole and rack on top.

Let us know how it turns out!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/