Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Note to Self  (Read 6812 times)

S. cerevisiae

Note to Self
« on: July 08, 2014, 08:03:50 pm »
 Half-inch EMT conduit is not strong enough to support even first year growth in a heavy thunderstorm. 

My first-year Challenger plants have exceeded my expectations by a large margin because I have never had any success with British hop cultivars.  These things are mutants.  They laughed at the Japanese beetles during the recent swarm.   I waged chemical warfare on those nasty little foliage destroyers last Saturday.  I took the fight directly to them on their favorite treat in my yard; namely, the Yoshino Cherry trees that are planted near my house.  Carbaryl (brand name Sevin) makes quick work of a Japanese beetle swarm if you apply it correctly.   I hit my hops with neem oil only to discover that it was the wrong kind of neem oil.  I used clarified hydrophobic extract of neem oil, which is the anti-fungal, miticide component.  I needed to use azadirachtin, which is the component of neem oil that works like a life cycle disrupting hormone on leaf eaters while not killing predator insects.  For those who want to avoid making the mistake that I made, the only product that I have found that contains azadirachtin is Safer BioNEEM.  I had to order this product because it is not sold locally.

Front to back: Cascade, Fuggle H, Horizon, Santiam, Spalt Select, and Challenger (my neighbor's sheep are off in the distance)

The distance from the ground to the PVC tee at the top is 10 feet.

My Fuggle H hills did not fare as well with the Japanese beetles, but they are starting to produce cones.  The other hills are in the burr stage to some extent.

Challenger is a beast.  The only other hop cultivars with which I have experienced anywhere near this kind of first year growth are Southern Brewer and Kirin II, both of which where bred for latitude 39 or shorter photoperiods (sadly, I dug those crowns out when I took my extended hiatus from the hobby).  The binds on my Challenger hills exceeded the 10' mark early last month. There is at least five feet of growth dangling down from the PVC tee.  One would not expect a hop that was bred to grow in alkaline soil at the 51st parallel would grow in acidic soil at the 39th parallel.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:56:39 am by S. cerevisiae »

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
Re: Note to Self
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 09:55:50 am »
Oh, to have the space to grow that much!  Mine are crowded into my suburban back yard, between tomatoes and a good neighbor fence.

At least we don't get thunderstorms to knock them down.

Thanks for the pix!
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 11:50:51 am »
I feel your pain. My previous residence was on a postage stamp-sized surburban lot.  The upside to owning a small surburban lot is that it can be mowed in under an hour with a push mower.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 03:14:15 pm »
I thought mowing was what the sheep were for?  That and producing lamb chops.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 05:32:23 pm »
The sheep belong to my neighbor.  They get loose periodically and munch on my grass when they are really wooly.  However, they do not get near the fence after they have been sheared. 

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 06:54:44 pm »
So how long DOES it take you to mow your lawn?

Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 09:47:35 pm »
More time than I want to spend on a mower!   ;D

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 06:03:56 am »
I've always it would be nice to have a crowd-sourced map of home-grown hops with the varieties planted and some measure of production (dry weight per hill is what I use) and the location.  It's a question that comes up a lot on forums.  What's your location?

I'm in Vermont, have ~13 varieties growing, with Cascade, Chinook, and Saxon leading production after 5 years or so at it.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 09:02:37 am »
I've always it would be nice to have a crowd-sourced map of home-grown hops with the varieties planted and some measure of production (dry weight per hill is what I use) and the location.  It's a question that comes up a lot on forums.  What's your location?

I'm in Vermont, have ~13 varieties growing, with Cascade, Chinook, and Saxon leading production after 5 years or so at it.

what part of vermont?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 10:18:45 am »
Jericho about 15 miles E of Burlington.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 10:34:37 am »

I grew up in Burlington, Colchester, Huntington, and South Starksboro. Lived in Underhill for a couple years before I moved down to Mass.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 12:12:21 pm »

I grew up in Burlington, Colchester, Huntington, and South Starksboro. Lived in Underhill for a couple years before I moved down to Mass.
I know the guy who just opened Burlington Beer Co. He lived down here for a while.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 02:42:35 pm »
I'm originally a "flat lander" from Southern Illinois, now settled in Vermont.  Its a terrific place to live for a ton of reasons.  I'm very lucky to be here.  Burlington Brewing Co dude grew up here apparently & moved back like many Vermonters do.  Haven't had his beer yet.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 03:19:31 pm »
I'm originally a "flat lander" from Southern Illinois, now settled in Vermont.  Its a terrific place to live for a ton of reasons.  I'm very lucky to be here.  Burlington Brewing Co dude grew up here apparently & moved back like many Vermonters do.  Haven't had his beer yet.

flatlander here too. I didn't arrive in VT until I was almost 4 months old.  ;D
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 07:08:12 pm »
What's your location?

I live in Maryland.   Chinook and Cascade also grow well in Maryland.  In fact, they are almost stupid proof cultivars for anyone who lives above the 35th parallel.   

FLBrewer earned my respect this year.  I guess that no one told him that hops are photoperiod sensitive.   All of Florida is below the 31st parallel.