Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 2007  (Read 4708 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Wyeast 2007
« on: July 14, 2014, 09:29:02 am »
I've only brewed one CAP to date, about a year ago.  So not overly familiar with this yeast.  I'm wondering about a typical primary fermentation time.  I've planned two weeks including 2 days for a D-rest.  I know it will be determined by the gravity readings, but I'm looking for predictions.

I'll ferment mid-temperature range at 52* and I followed BeerSmith's guidelines for a yeast starter.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
Re: Wyeast 2007
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 10:27:17 am »
Steve,
I've used 2007 a couple times fermenting at 54* both times. Two weeks should do it but it'll be done when it's done. I let mine condition in cornies for at least a month before serving. I hopped mine with all Sterling. If you haven't picked out a hop, I recommend it. Great summer beer. 

Bruce

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 11:07:59 am »
I've used this yeast with excellent luck. But I let it ferment for a solid month. I started out about 44° and then later ramp up to 51 over a course of the week and then maintain it at 51 for the rest of the time. No need for the rest. It's way cleans itself up nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AHA Member 900001775

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 02:25:33 pm »
Wyeast 2007 is not a proper CAP yeast.  The only CAP yeast strain that is currently available from Wyeast or White Labs is the Christian Schmidt strain.  This strain is available as 2272 North American Lager.  A derivative of the Christian Schmidt strain is 2035 New Ulm Lager (oh, I mean American Lager).

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 02:46:09 pm »
Wyeast 2007 is not a proper CAP yeast.  The only CAP yeast strain that is currently available from Wyeast or White Labs is the Christian Schmidt strain.  This strain is available as 2272 North American Lager.  A derivative of the Christian Schmidt strain is 2035 New Ulm Lager (oh, I mean American Lager).

Good to know, but I already have the starter finishing up - and not really concerned with style guidelines on this one, I just want to make a good beer.  I'm making it for a friend of mine who will be here in late September who only drinks BMC type stuff.  We served aboard the same ship years ago, so I'm calling it 8 Bells Lager.

On a more general note, I have really valued your posts.  Your knowledge of yeast is a big asset to this forum.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 02:47:41 pm by yso191 »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 02:58:29 pm »
Pre-Pro Pils is a beer style that I brew at least once a year.  Many home brewers find it difficult to believe that the beer contains 20% corn.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 05:42:34 pm »
If your friend likes BMC then 2007 is definitely a good choice. It has a distinct Bud character on the finish that I just can't get past.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 06:40:53 pm »

If your friend likes BMC then 2007 is definitely a good choice. It has a distinct Bud character on the finish that I just can't get past.

I like that Bud character. It's acetaldehyde. I think it mixes well with some hops (like Crystal). In some beers it can be distracting though.

But, Bud is the only BMC beer I like.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 06:48:02 pm »
I've used WY2124 and WLP833 in CAP and liked the results, 833 especially. But I haven't used the 2272 S.Cer mentioned - think I'll try that next.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 09:27:30 pm »

I like that Bud character. It's acetaldehyde. I think it mixes well with some hops (like Crystal). In some beers it can be distracting though.

It's not actually acetaldehyde. Per Mitch Steele, who used to brew at AB, it's actually an ester produced by their yeast strain. Even though I'm not a big fan of Bud, there's no arguing that it is very clean. I've never picked up any off flavors like acetaldehyde in it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 09:29:12 pm »

It's not actually acetaldehyde. Per Mitch Steele, who used to brew at AB, it's actually an ester produced by their yeast strain. Even though I'm not a big fan of Bud, there's no arguing that it is very clean. I've never picked up any off flavors like acetaldehyde in it.
Oops. I thought it was low levels of acetaldehyde. I think it is good in some beers. Bad for others.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 01:40:36 am »
I like that Bud character. It's acetaldehyde.

That's a misconception that Mitch Steele debunked quite a while ago. 

http://hoptripper.com/what-is-quality/

"Acetaldehyde is another flavor that results from fermentation issues, and is present in beer either because the beer hasn’t been aged long enough, or if the yeast health is poor, the yeast cells die and burst, releasing this flavor into the beer. In any event, acetaldehyde is hard flavor to discern at lower levels, and is one of the hardest off-flavors to detect and also fix. There is a common misperception that the green apple ester that some people use to describe Budweiser is acetaldehyde. I’ve heard this from very experienced, knowlegable brewing educators, and it is absolutely wrong. Budweiser has the lowest measured acetaldehyde levels of any major American lager brewer, the green apple ester is something else, and this exemplifies some of the confusion about this off-flavor. Not to name any names, but there is one lager brewer who operates in this country whose beer has definite acetaldehyde-and I think it’s a characteristic of their yeast strain, because it’s very consistent in their beers. So is this an off-flavor? To them perhaps not, but I find it unpalatable.I believe that aroma is due to low-level ethyl acetate."