Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IBU Calculation  (Read 4778 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: IBU Calculation
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 06:23:04 pm »
I still am convinced that brewery-released recipes are usually scaled accurately for the malt bill, but as for hop schedule, the IBU number sometimes doesn't appear to add up in software because the brewery gets considerable IBUs from whirlpooling. If you have the stated total you can at least get in the ballpark.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 05:07:59 pm »
I still am convinced that brewery-released recipes are usually scaled accurately for the malt bill, but as for hop schedule, the IBU number sometimes doesn't appear to add up in software because the brewery gets considerable IBUs from whirlpooling. If you have the stated total you can at least get in the ballpark.

Sipping this now.  The malt bill isn't even in the ballpark.

Everything about this recipe is off.  It needs more malt, more hops, more stoutness.

It's not a bad beer in its own right, but it's not what it should be.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 05:09:03 pm »

Sipping this now.  The malt bill isn't even in the ballpark.

Everything about this recipe is off.  It needs more malt, more hops, more stoutness.

It's not a bad beer in its own right, but it's not what it should be.

Wow, that sucks. Old Rasputin right?
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 05:21:14 pm »
Supposed to be.

It's like a weird dark brown ale.

I gave a pint to a friend last weekend and he asked if it was a brown ale.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 05:23:43 pm »
That's too bad. At least it's drinkable.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 05:28:39 pm »
It's getting tougher and tougher to use clone recipes. The Pliny recipe from Vinnie, Kris England's Shakespeare Stout clone, and a Blind Pig recipe are the best I've used in the last couple years. A lot of disappointing ones out there though. Most times I'm happier seeing how close I can get figuring it out on my own.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 05:39:32 pm »
Generally, I brew the same 5 or so recipes over and over that I've been brewing for years.  There are a few newer ones in there and some that are 15 years old or more, but I stick to the same ones and I'm not disappointed.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 06:07:12 pm »

It's getting tougher and tougher to use clone recipes.

I think the brewers are becoming more tight lipped as competition increases. At least a few that I have tried to chat up lately have been.

It doesn't stop at breweries. Austin Homebrew is very protective of their hundreds of clone recipes and MoreBeer seems to have pulled all the recipe sheets for the brewmaster series beers.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 06:13:24 pm »

It's getting tougher and tougher to use clone recipes.

I think the brewers are becoming more tight lipped as competition increases. At least a few that I have tried to chat up lately have been.

It doesn't stop at breweries. Austin Homebrew is very protective of their hundreds of clone recipes and MoreBeer seems to have pulled all the recipe sheets for the brewmaster series beers.

Yep. I think most of the brewery 'recipes' are reasonably close, but not always an attempt to be a true clone. And I can understand that, to a big extent. Though Denny's new book looks pretty legit. I need to brew something from it, like maybe the La Cumbre for starters.
Jon H.