Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Equinox Hops  (Read 3073 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Equinox Hops
« on: July 10, 2014, 08:37:09 am »
Equinox (HBC366) is another newer variety I want to use soon - anybody use these yet ?  They were evidently developed by the people who developed Citra, Simcoe, and Mosaic and are high AA (14-15%) with a very high oil content. I read a description of citrus/tropical/floral/herbal - sounds pretty interesting to me. I'm assuming pretty IPA-appropriate. I think I read SN uses/used it in an IPA.
Jon H.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: Equinox Hops
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 08:55:56 am »
We have a bunch at the HBS i work at.  They sounded great until i read the last descriptor.  "green peppers".  I do NOT want Green Peppers in my beer. Of course id ont like green peppers but it just doesnt sound good to me.  I will probably still try them at some point.

Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 08:58:23 am »
We have a bunch at the HBS i work at.  They sounded great until i read the last descriptor.  "green peppers".  I do NOT want Green Peppers in my beer. Of course id ont like green peppers but it just doesnt sound good to me.  I will probably still try them at some point.

Jeff

Hmm, hadn't heard that one. My LHBS has them too, and the guys there like them a lot. I'll give it a shot and report back.
Jon H.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 09:17:08 am »
https://www.hopunion.com/Equinox/

IF i where to make descriptions to sell that hop i would also leave out that last descriptor... If i wanted people to buy it anyway...
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 09:29:59 am »

IF i where to make descriptions to sell that hop i would also leave out that last descriptor... If i wanted people to buy it anyway...

and fire whoever allowed 'very unique' into a published document.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 09:37:42 am »

and fire whoever allowed 'very unique' into a published document.

My mom always said i was "Very Unique".  Time to fire her!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 09:47:44 am »

Looks like my mom is out of work too  :D
Jon H.

Offline porterpounder

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 11:22:59 am »
I tried an Equinox single-hopped beer from one of the vendors at NHC. The main aroma that jumped out was "gasoline". Not kidding. Did not come through so much in the flavor, but it was definitely there.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 11:47:22 am »
I tried an Equinox single-hopped beer from one of the vendors at NHC. The main aroma that jumped out was "gasoline". Not kidding. Did not come through so much in the flavor, but it was definitely there.

That is not a ringing endorsement. That'll officially make my test batch 1 gallon, instead of a split 5 gallon batch. Thanks !
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 01:14:03 pm »

Looks like my mom is out of work too  :D

harder to fire moms. it's a unique position. also their job description does not include the ability to use the language properly.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 05:04:53 pm »

That is not a ringing endorsement. That'll officially make my test batch 1 gallon, instead of a split 5 gallon batch. Thanks !

I love the smell of gasoline. Is that weird?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 05:12:51 pm »
Interesting info here. I have some of this in my freezer back from when it was still called HBC0366. Unfortunately, my wife is home recovering from surgery all summer so my next single hop brewday is on hold for a while. Hopefully I'll get a bunch of batches cranked out this fall.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 05:19:12 pm »

I love the smell of gasoline. Is that weird?

I'm assuming (hoping) it's a weird crop/harvest thing. The growers' track record of developing those other hops is pretty strong. I can't believe anybody would release a hop where that character showed up with any regularity. Has my curiosity piqued now !
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 08:20:48 am »

Molotov cocktail clone?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 09:31:46 am »

Molotov cocktail clone?

Priceless! And no crown cap, just a rag stuffed in