Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Disconnecting a faucet adaptor from a wort chiller?  (Read 1557 times)

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
Disconnecting a faucet adaptor from a wort chiller?
« on: July 09, 2014, 02:45:22 pm »
A while back I screwed on one of those adaptors that allows my wort chiller to hook up to a faucet. Since I moved I no longer have any faucets that fit it - anyone have any luck removing the adaptor? That thing is on there and isn't built to fit a wrench.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Disconnecting a faucet adaptor from a wort chiller?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 03:12:58 pm »
Can you post a picture (or link to a picture) of the adapter?  I think I'm slow today and just can't get the idea of what you are having problems with.  Totally lacking imagination today.

Paul.
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 03:20:29 pm »
I'll assume you have the faucet adapter screwed into the garden hose fitting that came with the chiller? If so, yeah those faucet adapters are small and not made for a any regular type of wrench. I've had success using a small compression plier/vice-grip to clamp onto the adapter, actually two, one for each fitting.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 03:23:51 pm »
Yes photo would help.

If you are talking about the little adapter that converts the faucet thread to the garden hose thread, a good pair of channel locks or a vice-grip should allow you to get a solid hold on it to get it out. More thank likely will damage the adapter, but the connector on the chiller should be unharmed.

This is what I am referring to, but I have seen them in all sorts of shapes and sizes.
http://morebeer.com/products/brass-sink-faucet-adapter.html?site_id=5

Edit - What Paul said

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 03:51:23 pm »
Yes photo would help.

If you are talking about the little adapter that converts the faucet thread to the garden hose thread, a good pair of channel locks or a vice-grip should allow you to get a solid hold on it to get it out. More thank likely will damage the adapter, but the connector on the chiller should be unharmed.

This is what I am referring to, but I have seen them in all sorts of shapes and sizes.
http://morebeer.com/products/brass-sink-faucet-adapter.html?site_id=5

Yup, that's what it looks like - I wonder if my best move is to buy another adaptor that's meant to convert faucet worts chillers to work with a hose?

Edit - What Paul said

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 03:56:34 pm »
I would try to get it out. More connections = more places for leaks to form. Not that big of a deal on the hose end I guess.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 04:57:14 pm »
I'd use a vise-grips or something like one to clamp on to the top of the adapter to get a good grip and then a pliers or pipe wrench to remove it.

I was really trying to convince myself there was some other adapter I hadn't seen.   ::)

Paul

** Edited because typing seems to be beyond me today too.
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?