Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast taste difference  (Read 3358 times)

Online erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Yeast taste difference
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 07:28:46 am »
US-05 is a very good dry yeast. It may not be quite as clean as WY1056, but it is pretty darn close. It is a bit harder to get to drop clear and to my pallet can sometimes leave a "dusty" character (which I think some people call "peach") which slightly muddles the flavor of the beer, where as 1056 is cleaner and brighter. That said, especially on very hoppy beers, I think most would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Have you noticed any differences when you repitch? I never bother to repitch dry yeast, since the whole reason I'm using dry yeast in the first place is because I don't often get to plan out my brews that far in advance. But in light of some of the info on this thread, I'm wondering if it may be worth the effort.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 08:14:50 am »

US-05 is a very good dry yeast. It may not be quite as clean as WY1056, but it is pretty darn close. It is a bit harder to get to drop clear and to my pallet can sometimes leave a "dusty" character (which I think some people call "peach") which slightly muddles the flavor of the beer, where as 1056 is cleaner and brighter. That said, especially on very hoppy beers, I think most would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Have you noticed any differences when you repitch? I never bother to repitch dry yeast, since the whole reason I'm using dry yeast in the first place is because I don't often get to plan out my brews that far in advance. But in light of some of the info on this thread, I'm wondering if it may be worth the effort.

I have repitched it a few times before but don't really have enough experience with it to make any determination.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 08:47:18 am »

What effort?  Repitching is simple.   Pour or scoop about 150 to 200mls of slurry into a sanitized container and store it covered in your refrigerator until the next time that you brew.  If you brew infrequently, feed the crop every three to four weeks until you are ready to pitch.

If you are planning to repitch US-05, I recommend racking early to a secondary for clearing, so that you can crop the most flocculent yeast cells from the primary.  US-05 is somewhat powdery on the first pitch.  The repitch will be noticeably more flocculent.