Author Topic: Electric Pilot System  (Read 562 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Electric Pilot System
« on: July 10, 2014, 02:19:23 PM »
Anyone using/used an electric system? Saw one on Brewdogs the other night and I'm intrigued by both the ability to use inside my garage and the temp. controls.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Pilot System
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 04:33:53 PM »
Yup. Rocks.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Steve in TX

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 04:50:14 PM »
I think they were using an induction burner. I remember Fick was discussing them not to long ago.

Side note. Not sure how I feel about Brewdogs. They make Sam Calagione look like a Puritan.
Vote Jonathan Fuller for AHA Governing Committee. For every yes vote, Jonathan will send you a can of Heady Topper.

*** This message has not been approved by Jonathan Fuller. All claims of free Heady Topper are in jest and not to be taken seriously. But seriously, he is a great brewer that is 100% committed to helping the AHA and all homebrewers prosper.

Offline S. cerevisiae

• Senior Brewmaster
  • deus ex machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 07:10:10 PM »
I recently switched to using a portable induction range for my 3.5-gallon batches.   It's nice to be able to set it up in my garage and walk away while the wort is boiling.   I do not feel comfortable doing the same thing with my propane stove.  A kettle has to be induction ready to get the most out of an induction range. I built the kettle that I use for 3.5-gallon batches out of a Vollrath Optio 3506, which is induction ready. My larger kettles are not induction ready.

Offline flbrewer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 07:16:57 PM »

Offline flbrewer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 07:17:37 PM »
I recently switched to using a portable induction range for my 3.5-gallon batches.   It's nice to be able to set it up in my garage and walk away while the wort is boiling.   I do not feel comfortable doing the same thing with my propane stove.  A kettle has to be induction ready to get the most out of an induction range. I built the kettle that I use for 3.5-gallon batches out of a Vollrath Optio 3506, which is induction ready. My larger kettles are not induction ready.

What's the induction part of it? Something to take away any smells?

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
    • View Profile
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Steve in TX

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 08:22:04 PM »
Induction is a type of heat source. Instead of applying direct heat to the pot the whole pot becomes the heat source. Basically magnets are used to excite the electrons in the metal, excited electrons generate heat. Thank Faraday
Vote Jonathan Fuller for AHA Governing Committee. For every yes vote, Jonathan will send you a can of Heady Topper.

*** This message has not been approved by Jonathan Fuller. All claims of free Heady Topper are in jest and not to be taken seriously. But seriously, he is a great brewer that is 100% committed to helping the AHA and all homebrewers prosper.

Offline durschad

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 01:25:29 PM »
I have a 100% electric system I use in my garage and absolutely love it!  I bought a kit from eBrewSupply and built the panel.  I'm not an electrician, but I know enough to be dangerous.  I wanted to build it on my own in case something stops working I'll hopefully have a better idea on how to fix it!

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 09:49:28 AM »
Yup. Rocks.

+1 to this. Ive brewed with Jeff on his system. It indeed, Rocks.  8)

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 03:50:35 PM »
I love mine. I built this one: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank

Fermenting: McChouffe clone, Samiclaus clone
Conditioning: Belgian Tripel, Barrel Aged Baltic Porter - in sherry barrel, Belgain Easter Ale
On tap: CAP, Dortmunder Export, IIPA, Dubbel Chocolate Stout, Wee Heavy, Whiskey barrel aged Wee Heavy, Baltic Porter
Newly Bottled:

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 02:33:10 AM »
I have a Braumeister. Love it!