Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Free Beer Bottle Labels  (Read 6579 times)

Offline KingsmillCellarBrewers

• 1st Kit
Free Beer Bottle Labels
« on: July 10, 2014, 10:55:58 pm »
I was looking to put labels on my beer bottles so they looked good.  If you are looking for a good resource to print free beer bottle labels, check out the link below.  there were a handful of posts but none seemed to bring everything together.  See below link:

http://andyslusher.blogspot.com/2011/07/7-sources-for-creating-your-own.html

A new site www.DIYFreeBeerLabels.com

A new site www.DIYFreeBeerLabels.com  lets you print free beer bottle labels at home via PDF.  it can be printed on regular paper.  Some good tips to stick the label to a bottle:  use 2% milk and wipe it on the paper.  it sticks really well and will remove easily.  much better than a sticky back label.

The labels take a little more time to put on but after spending so much time on the brew, its worth it.  the labels help bring a boring brown bottle to life. 

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 09:07:46 pm by KingsmillCellarBrewers »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Free Beer Bottle Labels
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 08:28:36 am »
I think there is a devolution in home brewing. At first its all about the name of your beer and a cool label idea. You eventually quit making labels (usually about the time the beer starts getting drinkable), and eventually you even quit naming them. I call my two best beers Scottish and APA. I might throw a name on something im experimenting on, like James' Brown or Bing Quadsby. My labels are a peice of blue painters tape on the keg handle.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 09:00:52 am »
I think there is a devolution in home brewing. At first its all about the name of your beer and a cool label idea. You eventually quit making labels (usually about the time the beer starts getting drinkable), and eventually you even quit naming them. I call my two best beers Scottish and APA. I might throw a name on something im experimenting on, like James' Brown or Bing Quadsby. My labels are a peice of blue painters tape on the keg handle.

+1 - I was so into designing labels when I first started brewing. Now I don't even bother giving them funny names in my recipe software, because I can never remember whether "Fizzy Yellow", "Kraut Pee", "Skunk Pee" or "Asparagus Pee" was the version of light lager that I actually wanted to brew.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 09:05:25 am »

+1 - I was so into designing labels when I first started brewing. Now I don't even bother giving them funny names in my recipe software, because I can never remember whether "Fizzy Yellow", "Kraut Pee", "Skunk Pee" or "Asparagus Pee" was the version of light lager that I actually wanted to brew.

Same here...exotic labels, clever names.  Now it's kegs and names like "#452 German Pils".
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 09:09:31 am »
Yep. I use the blackboard tap handles, so it's "IPA", "Alt", "Saison", etc. Masking tape with the style name on the keg.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 09:25:37 am »
I will label bottles if I am planning to hang on to them for a long time or give them away. Even then, not creative names, just style appropriate artwork that is often a mono-tone image with tone on tone text.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 09:26:38 am »
Guess i missed that phase memo.  I never bottled with labels., to the point tha ti have had several surprise beers in the past few weeks:D
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 09:56:07 am »
too many batches; I only name/label the failures at this point.  Usually with some version of a "FAIL" meme

I'm planning to use an image similar to this one for if I ever make a mousy cider.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 10:17:30 am »
too many batches; I only name/label the failures at this point.  Usually with some version of a "FAIL" meme

I'm planning to use an image similar to this one for if I ever make a mousy cider.

Like us, at least he is having a good time.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 04:30:26 pm »
It is a funny perspective. When I started last year, my gurlfriend( the creative half of our pair) said she found some labels she wanted to buy for me. I turned them down, as even a year later most of my batches are simply named by style. Every bottle of IPA gets IPA sharpied on the bottle cap. I have named one beer: it was a clone of a local favorite called  "Chickow" from ferris Bueller. I named mine "trust me, I'm a professional." Her favorite brew of mine so far(original is her/out favorite local beer

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 08:46:49 pm »
Back when I bottled every batch, they all got labels.  I had gotten to the point where different cap types and/or markings on the caps stopped making sense.  You had no certainty of what you were opening.  I had case upon case of beer in the basement.  No kids and I was brewing at a furious pace.

Now I keg.  I brew the same handful of recipes repeatedly.  Tape with name, date, OG, and FG and that's it.

I will still print labels if I'm bottling for a gift, but that's about it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 09:15:29 pm »
beerlabelizer.com is another site like the one you mention.  I think the labels here are better.  I especially like the one with the 'Biohazard' symbol, but I would have to use it for all my beers.  Most of the labels here require 'membership', however, it's only $5 and that's good forever.  On the downside, when you print the labels, it eats up your ink.  If I do label anything anymore, I use a spreadsheet I have pre-formatted.  Plain black and white, I do a find and replace on each field I need to change and then I print out 12 labels per page.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 05:27:48 am »
I name them, but just as often as not, it's a simple name or a joke.  I presently have on tap: "Into the Boards", a Czech lager I brewed when the hockey playoffs were underway; "Redheaded Stepchild", a red ale; "Not as Bitter", an English bitter, and "Ed's Smoked Honey Wheat", a recipe using those ingredients by the owner of my LHBS that took a silver at NHC a few years back.  But as to labels - the blue tape route is what I use on my kegs.  Even then, it is just so I can tell them apart before loading them into the serving fridge.  I use dry erase magnetic strips to label the taps on the fridge...all that said, I appreciate the talents of those who design some outstanding labels.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 08:18:19 am »
I designed three or four labels but never got around to labeling bottles because putting labels on means taking them back off. I have named all of my beers minus my solera pulls, which are just labeled as "lambic soler year" and the year of the pull. I have never named the handful of ciders and meads I have done over the years. I am running out of fun names for my beers.

My mother in law has been cleaning out her parents' house after they passed away and offered me a 1930s hand-operated mimeograph designed to make postal card-sized forms, ads, etc. I am planning on using it to make very basic black and white labels for some of my beers I want to keep for years. I don't know if I will ever get around to actually doing it but it would have a clean look and a cool story behind it.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 11:25:49 am »
I designed three or four labels but never got around to labeling bottles because putting labels on means taking them back off.
I attach any labels with milk.  As soon as I pour one, I thoroughly rinse the bottle to clear out the yeast.  While they're sitting under the faucet, the hot water will loosen the label.  Then it's just a matter of wiping the bottle off where the label was.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.