Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Heating a fridge in cold shop...Will this work?  (Read 4819 times)

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
Re: Heating a fridge in cold shop...Will this work?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 03:28:30 pm »
Central TX here. I feel I'd be lucky to even get drinkable fruity ales in that 2 month window.  ;) I suspect we'll still be hitting some 90s in November...

Most years in south Louisiana, the cool months are January and February.  It's still not unusual to have nights where the heater runs followed by days where the AC is needed.  That's why my thermostat has an auto setting.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 10:18:20 pm »
Do you not regulate temperature?

Even today, I use no attemperation during the cool months.  I have always fermented in an unfinished basement.  A basement does not change temperature rapidly.  I never used to brew during the warm months, so lack of attemperation was not a problem.  I used to start fermenting English-style ales in mid-September.  By November, my basement was cold enough to switch over to brewing hybrids.  Late December through February was lager time.  In March, I brewed hybrids.  By April, I was back to English-style ale, and if I brewed into late May, I would usually brew a five-gallon batch of American-style Wit with malted barely, malted wheat, Tettnanger kettle hops,  sweet orange peel, coriander, and BRY 96.   I enjoy brewing with the seasons even though I have a fermentation chamber today (cooling only).

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 06:14:55 am »
Do yourself a favor and either get a dual stage controller or a separate controller to control a heated wrap like this one here - http://www.bigappleherp.com/Flex-Watt-Heat-Tape

I ferment 1 bbl batches in a cold room set to 35 degrees wrapped with this style heat wrap and can raise the temp all the way up to 80+ if I want.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 07:35:25 am »
Do yourself a favor and either get a dual stage controller or a separate controller to control a heated wrap like this one here - http://www.bigappleherp.com/Flex-Watt-Heat-Tape

I ferment 1 bbl batches in a cold room set to 35 degrees wrapped with this style heat wrap and can raise the temp all the way up to 80+ if I want.

Conical?  That heat tape looks cool.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 07:37:49 am »

Conical?  That heat tape looks cool.

Well, to be clear I use Spiedels for 1 bbl fermentation but back when we were a 3 bbl brewery I used plastic conicals with the same tape and insulation and could control 90+ gallons of beer temp the same way!

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 07:40:56 am »
Thanks for the info!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 08:01:05 am »
That first link was just a quick google search and then I remembered that I used to buy from these guys. The price may be better.

http://www.reptilebasics.com/12-heat-tape

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2015, 08:48:39 am »
Do you not regulate temperature?

Even today, I use no attemperation during the cool months.  I have always fermented in an unfinished basement.  A basement does not change temperature rapidly.  I never used to brew during the warm months, so lack of attemperation was not a problem.  I used to start fermenting English-style ales in mid-September.  By November, my basement was cold enough to switch over to brewing hybrids.  Late December through February was lager time.  In March, I brewed hybrids.  By April, I was back to English-style ale, and if I brewed into late May, I would usually brew a five-gallon batch of American-style Wit with malted barely, malted wheat, Tettnanger kettle hops,  sweet orange peel, coriander, and BRY 96.   I enjoy brewing with the seasons even though I have a fermentation chamber today (cooling only).

Very cool, I would love to have the steady temperature benefits of a basement. In the Pacific NW, and specifically the Willamette Valley our seasons are pretty darn temperate so we don't tend to get huge daily variation. While it gets "hot" in July & August, we don't really have to worry about extended periods of freezing temps.  My 14 gallon conical ends up being my "seasonal" fermenter as it's too big to fit into my fermentation chamber and I presently only have the ability to add heat for regulation purpose.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified