Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Just say "no" to yeast rinsing  (Read 40824 times)

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
Re: Just say "no" to yeast rinsing
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 09:52:53 am »
I rinsed ~1 cup of slurry with 2~ cups of autoclaved(15 min at 15PSI in a pressure cooker) water about a week ago.  do you think using this is a bad idea?  Its a first gen slurry.

I personally believe that that yeast rinsing serves no useful purpose.

My experience with rinsing and not rinsing agrees with you.

Instead of rinsing the yeast after racking off the beer, what do you both recommend that we do? (Denny & Cerevisiae)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 09:54:31 am »
I rinsed ~1 cup of slurry with 2~ cups of autoclaved(15 min at 15PSI in a pressure cooker) water about a week ago.  do you think using this is a bad idea?  Its a first gen slurry.

I personally believe that that yeast rinsing serves no useful purpose.

My experience with rinsing and not rinsing agrees with you.

Instead of rinsing the yeast after racking off the beer, what do you both recommend that we do? (Denny & Cerevisiae)

don't rinse it.  ;) seriously though, if you have another beer to pitch into do that, if you don't, fill a mason jar or plastic jar or bucket with a tight fitting lid that you have sanitized before hand. Leave it under beer until you are ready to pitch it or make a new starter with it.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 10:34:53 am »
Very interesting post and thread. I've rinsed yeast as a standard practice when time permits, and I've re-pitched direct from a previous batch (without rinsing) many, many times as well. Honestly, I haven't noticed a marked difference in beer quality, although I haven't blind taste tested this in practice either. You make a great case for "not rinsing" yeast". Thanks for posting.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 10:49:16 am »

I just leave a bit of beer behind in the fermenter, swirl up the yeast, trub, and beer and pour it all into a sanitized container.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 10:51:07 am »
don't rinse it.  ;) seriously though, if you have another beer to pitch into do that, if you don't, fill a mason jar or plastic jar or bucket with a tight fitting lid that you have sanitized before hand. Leave it under beer until you are ready to pitch it or make a new starter with it.

You don't want to screw the lid on too tight, especially if it's a glass jar.  I've seen too many pics of jars that have exploded on the fridge.  Even refrigerated, the yeast will keep producing CO2.  That's why I use plastic tubs with snap on lids.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 11:23:54 am »

As Jonathan already mentioned, you do not have to do a thing to cropped yeast in order to be able to re-pitch it.  Brewers have cropped and re-pitched yeast (barm) for millennia without rinsing it with boiled water.  In fact, all of the non-wild brewing cultures that we use today are the result of continuous cropping, especially true top-cropping strains.  If one finds a true top-cropper in a container of wort that was known to be absolutely sterile when placed outdoors, one can pretty much be assured that the yeast strain was left behind by another human.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 02:07:05 pm by S. cerevisiae »

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 11:42:14 am »
I just leave a bit of beer behind in the fermenter, swirl up the yeast, trub, and beer and pour it all into a sanitized container.

This technique is used by every truly experienced brewer that I know.   

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 01:27:00 pm »

You don't want to screw the lid on too tight, especially if it's a glass jar.  I've seen too many pics of jars that have exploded on the fridge.  Even refrigerated, the yeast will keep producing CO2.  That's why I use plastic tubs with snap on lids.

true. I've found with mason jars with the two piece lid if too much pressure builds up the seal fails before the bottle but better safe than sorry.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 01:27:40 pm »
true. I've found with mason jars with the two piece lid if too much pressure builds up the seal fails before the bottle but better safe than sorry.

I always seal "fingertip tight"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 01:30:33 pm »

+1.  The two piece lid definitely needs to be on loose.
Jon H.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 02:16:19 pm »

Which is why I store cropped yeast in 500ml Erlenmeyer flasks with #7 stoppers and airlocks.  A six-pack of Corning 4980 500ml Erlenmeyer flasks can be had for $25.25 shipped.  That's $4.21 per flask.  My oldest Corning 4980-500 is over twenty years old.

www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004XR5V0A/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 03:05:03 pm »

This technique is used by every truly experienced brewer that I know.   

If it's thick, and I have siphoned most of the beer out of the fermenter, I will pour in a can of cheap swill like PBR (funny that I always seem to have cans of that lying around), then follow the rest of what Denny said.

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 06:52:17 pm »

Which is why I store cropped yeast in 500ml Erlenmeyer flasks with #7 stoppers and airlocks.  A six-pack of Corning 4980 500ml Erlenmeyer flasks can be had for $25.25 shipped.  That's $4.21 per flask.  My oldest Corning 4980-500 is over twenty years old.

www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004XR5V0A/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Denny too, would you say using flasks or mason jars are better? Also how would you recommend sanitizing them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2014, 07:12:18 pm »
Can you define your entire process for us S?  Ill try it, the only reason i was rinsing is because it was the most used method i could find instructions for.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2014, 07:38:46 pm »

Can you define your entire process for us S?  Ill try it, the only reason i was rinsing is because it was the most used method i could find instructions for.

And please pretend, for at least some of us, that our microbiology education stopped at high school bio.