Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: B Nektar Zombie Killer  (Read 3363 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
B Nektar Zombie Killer
« on: July 11, 2014, 09:05:53 pm »
Until now, the only commercial meads I've had have been from Moonlight Meadery. Great meads, but their take is very much the big, sipping mead style; in the vein of a big red or dessert wine. To date, all my homebrew meads have been modeled after this style of mead, since it's all I really know and I'm a big fan of it.

I just came across B Nektar in my area for the first time, so I grabbed a few of their meads to try. The first one I'm trying is Zombie Killer, which is a 6% cherry cyser.

This is something I can easily put down in mass quantities. The nose is apples with a cinnamon spice note. Flavor is cider first, with slightly tart cherry highlights. As the fruit fades, the honey starts to assert itself. The finish is a nice honey note, along with a hint of cinnamon. Sweetness is off-dry with light carbonation.

I get that cinnamon note in a lot of wildflower honey, so I'm guessing that's where its coming from, but I've gotten it from apple cider before as well. This honestly has given me a whole new outlook on mead. Great stuff. This is a bit transcendent experience for me. It definitely makes me want to brew a batch or two of this type of session mead.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: B Nektar Zombie Killer
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 08:30:12 am »
The owner/meadmaker came to our club a little over a year ago and did a presentation. He makes some nice stuff and it was very informational. The highlight was when he pulled out some of his personal stash of mead. The vanilla/cinnamon was wonderful. I also got to sample Ken Schramm's at the NHC and my mind is still blown. I was so inspired that I got 15 lbs of Orange Blossom Honey that I plan on making a melomel with in the next month.
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 08:43:28 am »
The Zombie Killer sounds great - wish I had some to try.
Jon H.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 09:15:10 am »
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 09:18:53 am »
The label art is pretty cool with B. Nektar brews.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 01:01:47 pm »
Nice, I have a Dwarven Invasion in my fridge I need to try. Session-able Meads is a cool concept.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 08:18:31 am »
Honey/fruit balance is something I struggle with, and their blends are among the best.  Honey/apple/cherry are all everpresent and in balance.

fridge to glass to mouth in 5 seconds = great.  Once it warms very much the sweetness/balance is off for me but that's just personal preference.  just measured it at 1.027 or 28 at 61F.  I now pour a few ounces at a time into a glass and keep the rest stoppered and ice cold in the fridge.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:36:27 am by udubdawg »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 11:22:52 am »
Thanks for the FG measurement. That definitely helps me target something if I'm going to try this myself.

I also have Black Fang and Dwarven Invasion in my fridge. Looking forward to trying them out soon.
Eric B.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 12:40:59 pm »
My wife & I have had that before. It is delicious. Although, I wish I could remember where we got it. It is definitely a great way to enjoy a honey & fruit based beverage.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 07:29:38 am »
The B Nektar guy's are the ones that got me into making mead.  I started making mead before I made any beer.  They are very open and will help/tell you anything you want.  I'm pretty lucky to live 3 miles away from them and Schramm's at the same time...
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 07:53:16 am »
The B Nektar guy's are the ones that got me into making mead.  I started making mead before I made any beer.  They are very open and will help/tell you anything you want.  I'm pretty lucky to live 3 miles away from them and Schramm's at the same time...

You are not to far from Kuhnhenn then, which makes some good mead too.

There are some pretty good mead makers in my club, so I have made mead, but not to the quality level that they do, so a stick to mainly beer. I still do one or two meads a year.  Disclosure -one guy in the club is named Schramm.

There was an article in one of the MI papers on how MI has become a center for mead production. Found it.
http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20140709/MICHIGANDER/307090033/Michigan-epicenter-mead-making

Edit - Zombie Killer is often on draft at my local pub.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 07:00:07 pm »

Cool. I will have to shoot them an email to get an idea how they go about making their session meads. They say "contains sulfites", so I'm guessing they arrest fermentation once it gets down to their target FG, then force carbonate. But, if they're open about their procedures, then I'd love to hit them up for whatever details they're willing to share.
Eric B.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 07:05:25 pm »
Yeah they have always been willing to share. They are are also on the got mead forums.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 08:48:33 am »
I'd like to play around with lower gravity meads too. We have been going a little less sweet the last couple of years but nowhere this low. We have so much mead in our cellar that we can play fast and loose with it so this time of year we tend to add ice and soda water and maybe a splash of Campari (or after a long day, gin). We also make a mean sangria with cranberry mead and fresh pineapple sage from the garden.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 09:09:39 pm »
I'm drinking the Black Fang right now and it may be even better than Zombie Killer. They nail the balance of sweetness and acidity, as well as the balance of primary and background flavors and aromas every time. I need to learn how to brew mead like this, because at 8 bucks a bomber this could be an expensive habit.
Eric B.