Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Will it ferment?  (Read 4754 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Will it ferment?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 05:36:56 pm »
OK, the wife may get a little concerned if one of those shows up, and it's a little large to hide..... I mean, I could but eh, no.

Again. I have boiled plant matter in water and have a perfectly strained liquid that appears to have a SG higher than 1000, I need to measure, and it tastes somewhat sweet, so I suspect that there are starches and/or sugars in solution.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 09:22:02 am »
Well, this thick sirupy liquid had a SG of.........1000    ???

So, since I don't have what I was hoping for I'll 'splain what it is and where I was hoping to take this. It's marshmallow root. I drink it as a tea on a daily basis for medicinal purposes, and I like the flavor. I would like to make a gallon or two and add it to a beer. So, if there would have been sugar in there it could have been perfect. But, it turns out not to be sugar. I have been told that it is a protein. (think gelatin, but vegetarian) Marshmallows were made as early as ancient Egypt, where they took the sap from the root and added nuts and honey.

Sooooo, now the question is..... what would this stuff do to the beer? I know, try it and find out. But, short of that, any insight from the learned here?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 12:10:07 pm »
Interesting. What does it do for you?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 06:56:24 pm »
Well, this thick sirupy liquid had a SG of.........1000    ???

So, since I don't have what I was hoping for I'll 'splain what it is and where I was hoping to take this. It's marshmallow root. I drink it as a tea on a daily basis for medicinal purposes, and I like the flavor. I would like to make a gallon or two and add it to a beer. So, if there would have been sugar in there it could have been perfect. But, it turns out not to be sugar. I have been told that it is a protein. (think gelatin, but vegetarian) Marshmallows were made as early as ancient Egypt, where they took the sap from the root and added nuts and honey.

Sooooo, now the question is..... what would this stuff do to the beer? I know, try it and find out. But, short of that, any insight from the learned here?

How about making kombucha out of it? fermented tea; only maybe 1% alcohol. Then maybe you can mix it with your beer afterwards like a radler.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 08:25:43 pm »
Interesting. What does it do for you?

The mucous like qualities are alleged to help maintain/restore the lining of the bladder. I may, or may not, depending on which doc you believe, have a liner that is less than optimal, allowing acidic urine to get to the bladder wall which leads to pelvic discomfort and "quantity gauge" issues. Diet controls a lot of this and I'm doing just fine staying away from certain foods and beverages. (Coffee, citrus, vinegar to name a few) Beer is on the "no" list but fortunately I am tolerating it just fine.....
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 08:27:48 pm by oscarvan »

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 08:35:06 pm »
But, it turns out not to be sugar. I have been told that it is a protein.

Its a plant so it has "sugar". Its just in the form of starch. It needs to be mashed with barley to convert the starches to simpler forms, ie...sugars.

Grind some up, boil it for a few minutes, the let cool to 150f or so and add about 25% crushed 2 row or 6 row malt. Barley has much more enzymes than it need to convert itself and all that extra will work on the starch in the roots.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee