Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: German & Domestic Pilsner Malt: Difference?  (Read 3498 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
German & Domestic Pilsner Malt: Difference?
« on: July 12, 2014, 05:36:11 pm »
The obvious is 15 cents per pound.  But beyond that what difference is there?  I'm brewing a Pilsner on Wednesday, and making my supply run, saw that the LHBS had both.  I went for the German, but now I am curious.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: German & Domestic Pilsner Malt: Difference?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 06:05:36 pm »
I almost always use domestic pils out of desire to eat close to home but a couiple months ago I entered my marzen in a contest and the difference was noticed by one grand master IV judge. It was the first time I ever saw a comment specifically stating that I would have scored better if I had used continental malt. so take that for what it's worth.

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 06:08:49 pm »
EVERYTHING! German Pils is hands down better than domestic Pils. Of course this is my opinion, but german malt just has more flavor like a sweeter, grainy characteristic. What German brand did you buy?
Dan Chisholm

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 06:09:38 pm »
I can tell a small but important difference, but only in light colored low hop beers.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 06:12:10 pm »
EVERYTHING! German Pils is hands down better than domestic Pils. Of course this is my opinion, but german malt just has more flavor like a sweeter, grainy characteristic.

+1.  Castle Pils is very nice too.
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 06:14:58 pm »
EVERYTHING! German Pils is hands down better than domestic Pils. Of course this is my opinion, but german malt just has more flavor like a sweeter, grainy characteristic.

I'll have to try that.
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 06:28:12 pm »

I'll have to try that.

It's Belgian, pretty high quality. And BTW I used the new Avangard in my German Pils that just kicked - it's pretty darn good too.
Jon H.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 06:48:03 pm »
EVERYTHING! German Pils is hands down better than domestic Pils. Of course this is my opinion, but german malt just has more flavor like a sweeter, grainy characteristic. What German brand did you buy?

Well I am very glad I chose what I did then!  I don't know the brand.  The bins just have the type of malt and the lovibond on the lid.  I suppose I could ask, but it is the only one they had so if I wanted another brand I'd have to order a 50# sack.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 06:48:37 pm »

I'll have to try that.

It's Belgian, pretty high quality. And BTW I used the new Avangard in my German Pils that just kicked - it's pretty darn good too.
I'm on my second bag of Avangard and I like it a lot. I got a German Pils fermenting with it now. You can't go wrong with the price also.
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 06:55:18 pm »

I'll have to try that.

I'm on my second bag of Avangard and I like it a lot. I got a German Pils fermenting with it now. You can't go wrong with the price also.

For sure. My LHBS dropped Weyermann in favor of Avangard - I didn't know it until I went to buy the stuff for the German Pils. Rather than wait to order Weyermann online I gave it a shot, since I'd heard good things about Avangard. Gotta say, I really like it ! Gonna keep using it (except for Castle for Belgians).
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 06:40:04 am »
If you want to make a German style beer, use German ingredients.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 09:01:00 am »
I find that the particular maltster makes more difference than the country of origin.  That said, though, I also find continental pils malts to taste better than domestic.  I've never done a blind test to verify that's the case, but I always buy continental pils.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 09:53:26 am »
My experience with Avangard concurs with what has already been posted.  I love this malt.  It has a sweet grainy flavor that reminds me of Durst Pils.  I was dismayed to see that my LHBS stopped carrying Durst Pils while I was away from the hobby.  I do not care for the flavor of MFB or Weyermann Pils.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 10:56:24 am »
My experience with Avangard concurs with what has already been posted.  I love this malt.  It has a sweet grainy flavor that reminds me of Durst Pils.  I was dismayed to see that my LHBS stopped carrying Durst Pils while I was away from the hobby.  I do not care for the flavor of MFB or Weyermann Pils.

I don't find MFB too bad, but I just don't care for Weyermann after trying Durst and Best.  I've got a sack of Avangard I hope to get into soon.  Glad to hear the good report!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:59:27 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 10:59:43 am »
+1 to Avangard being pretty similar to Durst. I like Avangard easily better than Weyermann. Glad my LHBS made the switch.
Jon H.