Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Peels / Spices in recipes  (Read 1682 times)

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
Peels / Spices in recipes
« on: July 11, 2014, 12:35:30 pm »
Ive brewed a few recipes that use some orange/lemon peel & various other spices, coriander, cinnamon, nutmeg, paradise seeds etc.

What amounts of the peels or spices do other brewers typically use per 5 g batch?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Peels / Spices in recipes
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 02:04:59 pm »
really depends on so many factors it's hard to say,

For citrus I will generally use the zest (only the zest, no white pith) of 1-3 fruits for a 5 gallon batch.

Spices are a whole other thing though. what spices? what styles do you brew? a good way to deal with it is to make a tincture with vodka or white dog or whatever white, flavorless liquor you have access to and experiment on a small scale before packaging.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 11:48:03 am »
I prefer to use citrus peel without the pith.  The pith is bitter and not good bitter.  I bought a pound of sweet dried orange peel with the pith once and used various quantities.  The maximum dose I could tolerate was 3oz in 6 gallons.  This beer had some bitterness that wasn't pleasant, but the bitterness completely faded after 2 months in the bottle.  The orange flavor didn't fade and seemed to improve with time.

If you don't use the pith, the beer tastes good right out of the gate.  It's sort of a pain to get the skin without the pith, but the effort is worth it.  I don't weigh the skin and use a similar quantity as Mort. 

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 12:11:49 pm »
As far as spices go, they are wildly variable.  This spice / herb beer resource covers a broad spectrum and will get you in the right ballpark.  Keep in mind, the potency of spices is linked to freshness and some spices store a lot better than others.

http://www.franklinbrew.org/wp/?page_id=120

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 12:28:20 pm »
+1 to all the above. Just like with fruit, coffee or any other flavorings, better to start out light on the additions, take good notes and adjust upward later, rather than have 5 gallons of something you won't drink.
Jon H.

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 12:38:10 pm »
If you over spice, over hop or over sour something, it can probably be salvaged by mixing it with a milder beer at pouring time.   

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 02:15:24 pm »
I prefer to use citrus peel without the pith.  The pith is bitter and not good bitter.  I bought a pound of sweet dried orange peel with the pith once and used various quantities.  The maximum dose I could tolerate was 3oz in 6 gallons.  This beer had some bitterness that wasn't pleasant, but the bitterness completely faded after 2 months in the bottle.  The orange flavor didn't fade and seemed to improve with time.

If you don't use the pith, the beer tastes good right out of the gate.  It's sort of a pain to get the skin without the pith, but the effort is worth it.  I don't weigh the skin and use a similar quantity as Mort. 

I also find the white pith a source of unpleasant bitterness.  I describe it as "spoiled fruit."
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 02:23:17 pm »
Oxo citrus peeler.  The groove in the middle makes the peel you want.

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 09:46:31 am »
Typically for spices I would be brewing winter spiced beers/pumpkin spiced ales

For peels/seeds i would be brewing wheat beers or wits that might use lemon/coriander/orange etc

I've only ever used the dried ones available from brewers best. What amounts would you typically want to use of the fresh zest/peel?