Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Servomyces as yeast nutrient in mead  (Read 3709 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Servomyces as yeast nutrient in mead
« on: July 13, 2014, 06:18:26 am »
Has anyone used this product in mead? I asked my girlfriend, who has been making mead for 20 years, why she doesn't use yeast nutrient. She said she would rather wait a year or two for full fermentation than put all those chemicals in an otherwise natural product. I always thought yeast nutrient was a more or less natural product but it turns out to be a mixture of chemicals that I prefer not to use. Servomyces was developed for german brewers because it complies with the beer purity law. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with its effectiveness in mead.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Servomyces as yeast nutrient in mead
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 07:49:35 am »
Are you comfortable with using DAP? I honestly think the specific yeast nutrient in the staggered yeast nutrients isn't critical, but the DAP is a requirement.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 07:32:56 pm »
Are you comfortable with using DAP? I honestly think the specific yeast nutrient in the staggered yeast nutrients isn't critical, but the DAP is a requirement.
I don't want to use DAP. We're getting our honey either from our own bees or a guy we know locally whose bees are foraging in the quabbin reservoir watershed where no pesticides are used, we're growing or foraging all the fruit and herbs we use in melomels and methlegins. Do we want to add some phosphoric acid combined with ammonia in a factory? Maybe its technically safe, but why bother making my own if I can't make it safer and tastier than what I can buy? I think the servomyces might be a good alternative. We already make good mead, it just takes a long time.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 08:49:04 pm »
I think the Servomyces will be a help even without the DAP. I'm not sure whether there's an organic source of FAN, but it may be worth looking into.
Eric B.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 08:12:31 am »
A guy in our club was talking about Fermaid-O at the club picnic. It is from Yeats hulls, organic, and may be what you are after.
http://lallemandwine.com/spip.php?article356&lang=en
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 11:40:17 am »
A guy in our club was talking about Fermaid-O at the club picnic. It is from Yeats hulls, organic, and may be what you are after.
This looks good. And lallemande needs to get this more visible when you search "organic yeast nutrients", I missed it. We're having a good honey flow so I'm hoping to make a plain mead soon.
Thanks

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 12:43:53 pm »
This looks good. And lallemande needs to get this more visible when you search "organic yeast nutrients", I missed it. We're having a good honey flow so I'm hoping to make a plain mead soon.
Thanks

According to the guy in the club the downside is that it is not cheap, and you use a lot of it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 02:44:27 pm »
Thanks

According to the guy in the club the downside is that it is not cheap, and you use a lot of it.
Its not cheap, but worth it to me.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 05:50:44 pm »
If you use it please let us know how it works for you. I'd love to find out on a side by side how this affects the mead fermentation, especially since you are having good results without it already.
Eric B.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 06:41:20 pm »
If you use it please let us know how it works for you. I'd love to find out on a side by side how this affects the mead fermentation, especially since you are having good results without it already.
Yes. In the fall when we do 20 gallon batches I'll probably set aside a 5 gallon batch of a couple different meads without the nutrient and test gravity at different stages. It will be a lot longer before I can report on taste.