Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Software Eff Issue  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Software Eff Issue
« on: July 13, 2014, 07:33:20 pm »
Kolsch

Grain Bill
41.75 Lbs Weyerman Pils
4.5 Lbs Weyerman Wheat Dark
Mash Schedule
30min P Rest @ 123
60min Beta Rest @ 148
30min Alpha Rest @ 158
45min fly sprage @ 168 trending down over the course of the sparge

Collected ~35G of wort and boiled off about 4G in a 90min boil

Got 30.5G into Fermenters at 1.058

Per Beersmith my Eff was in the 97th Percentile.  This seems highly unlikely to me and hoping for some feedback and help from any of you more experienced brewers out there.

cheers,
Jeff
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:53:05 pm by Jeff M »
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
Re: Software Eff Issue
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 08:54:50 pm »
Took another reading with a different hydrometer. that one reads 1.052 @ 80 degrees = 1.054

That would be about 94% eff, which still seems high but is more reasonable then the 97%  assumed before.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 05:34:31 am »
94% is totally achievable with a really good crush and mash including pH and temperature control.  97%.... yeah, that would have been unusually high.  Possible, but unlikely.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 05:49:59 am »
94% is totally achievable with a really good crush and mash including pH and temperature control.  97%.... yeah, that would have been unusually high.  Possible, but unlikely.

I agree Dave, But it just seems to freaking unlikely for a second batch on a new system.  On our first brew we got about 74% eff and didnt control Ph and mashed only for B sacc for an hour.  This time we adjusted with Lactic Acid and watched our mash temps like a hawk.  I took the pH about 8 times at different times and took gravity readings about every 5-7 min threw the sparge.  Our tail runnings where about 2.5P when we hit our final volume.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 07:51:46 am »
Well, with more experience you might confirm that your new system really is that awesome.

Another thing to keep in mind with efficiency is that all your volume measurements need to be perfect.  If you intended to have 5.5 gallons at the end of the boil but actually ended up with 5 gallons, then your efficiency might be too high by a ratio of 5.5/5 or 110% (10% too high).
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 07:52:20 am »
If you are continuous sparging, 35 to 36 points per pound per gallon is not out of the question.  I would also not rule out the impact that proper mash pH has on conversion and extraction. I used to get 35 points per pound per gallon out of my double beverage cooler system if I paid attention the to sparge.  My "just let it run" extraction rate was 33 points per pound per gallon.  My water had a pH of 6.0 coming out of the tap with low hardness and very low alkalinity.   After installing an acid neutralizing filter to save my fixtures and valves, I now have to work at achieving an extraction rate higher than 31 points per pound per gallon.  I have learned what it is like for brewers who brew with naturally alkaline water.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 08:13:24 am »
Well, with more experience you might confirm that your new system really is that awesome.

Another thing to keep in mind with efficiency is that all your volume measurements need to be perfect.  If you intended to have 5.5 gallons at the end of the boil but actually ended up with 5 gallons, then your efficiency might be too high by a ratio of 5.5/5 or 110% (10% too high).

Ya.  I am 95% sure my buddy has 11G, another buddy has 5.5g and i have about 16G in my Spiedel, But wont be sure until we rack it to keg because i didnt calibrate it beforehand.   I bought a 60L and im pretty sure the small bump 2/3rds up is the 60L mark.  The beer is about an inch over that.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 08:27:26 am »
What did you enter in "batch size" for Beersmith?

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 09:40:08 am »

Ya.  I am 95% sure my buddy has 11G, another buddy has 5.5g and i have about 16G in my Spiedel, But wont be sure until we rack it to keg because i didnt calibrate it beforehand.   I bought a 60L and im pretty sure the small bump 2/3rds up is the 60L mark.  The beer is about an inch over that.
These volumes equal 32.5 gallons, while in OP, you state 30.5 gallons into primary. That's a 6% difference and will surely throw off efficiency numbers, but if you have that gravity and more volume, your eff will be even higher, correct?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 10:13:04 am »

These volumes equal 32.5 gallons, while in OP, you state 30.5 gallons into primary. That's a 6% difference and will surely throw off efficiency numbers, but if you have that gravity and more volume, your eff will be even higher, correct?

Correct, it would mean the eff was even higher.  Im pretty sure my Mash and boil volumes are correct because of the boilermaker sightglasses.  the 30G are calibrated to within a liter, and the 55G Bk withing 2liters.  Ill look into the Spidel Volume when im home from work.

Jeff