Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First high gravity attempt  (Read 3422 times)

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
Re: First high gravity attempt
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 08:17:15 am »
+1 that LME/DME is only 75% fermentable.

What was the full recipe & fermentation schedule/temp?

Typically in my DIPA recipes include dextrose to help dry it out (+1 to everyone who already mentioned that)

Also 152 might be a bit high for the mash temp. I would have done 148-149 personally.

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 08:20:51 am »
Thanks for all the replies.  This is probably a stupid question but, how do you rouse the yeast?  I assume I am to gently aggitate the fermenter to get the yeast back into solution but not enough to get any oxygen into it.  Is that correct?

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 08:24:15 am »
Thanks for all the replies.  This is probably a stupid question but, how do you rouse the yeast?  I assume I am to gently aggitate the fermenter to get the yeast back into solution but not enough to get any oxygen into it.  Is that correct?

What type of vessel are you fermenting in? When I made my DFH 120m IPA clone (18.5%) i roused the yeast daily using a sanitized stainless spoon that i gently broke up the yeast cake with. however i was adding sugar after each rouse so i wasn't worried about the small amount of oxygen introduced as the yeast would munch it up during the fermentation of the sugar.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 08:28:03 am »

What type of vessel are you fermenting in? When I made my DFH 120m IPA clone (18.5%) i roused the yeast daily using a sanitized stainless spoon that i gently broke up the yeast cake with. however i was adding sugar after each rouse so i wasn't worried about the small amount of oxygen introduced as the yeast would munch it up during the fermentation of the sugar.
mattybrass, would love to see your recipe for that DFH clone, do you mind sharing?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 08:39:25 am »

mattybrass, would love to see your recipe for that DFH clone, do you mind sharing?

extract or AG?

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 08:47:05 am »
I had that particlar one in a glass carboy. I also use a bucket as primary.

+1 to see the above recipe (AG).  I will post my recipe and mash temps tonight for any other suggestions on the original topic.  It is dry hopping right now in a keg.  Dry hop schedule is 6 days.  Would it make sense to remove the hops a day 6, seal the keg and purge of room air and let it sit for a month, recheck gravity and if stable, go ahead and cool and carb?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 08:52:24 am »
I tried my hand at a high gravity dark ipa 2 weeks ago.  Target OG was 1.092 and my actual was 1.100 (partial mash).  I pitched a 3 stage starter of 1056 and oxygenated the hell out of it with a O2 stone.  It fermented very steady for 2 weeks.  I racked to secondary and dry hopped yesterday and my gravity was 1.024. That would be a shade under 10 percent.  I know the alcohol tolerance of 1056 is 11 percent.  Is there anything I can do to dry it out a bit more?  My thinking is that my yeast is done due to alcohol to high.  I do have some US-05 on hand and wondered if pitching one of those may get it going again.  My target final gravity was 1.017.  Any advise or suggestions appreciated.

I think your target FG is too llow for a 1.100 beer.  Personally, I think it will be better where it is right now.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 09:37:43 am »
You could also pitch a Saccharomyces diastaticus strain.  The species name tells it all.  ;D

Apparently it produces a beer that tastes quite awful. I obtained a sample but never used it after I read something from weihenstephan that they had tried a strain in their possession and disliked the flavor. It was one of the proposed methods of creating that collaboration beer with BBC to get it very dry.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 10:12:58 am »
Yes, looking for AG recipe

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)