Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Healthy Beer  (Read 4661 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
Re: Healthy Beer
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 07:08:38 pm »
No thanks.

I like my beer unfettered and in unhealthy quantities. 
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 08:21:31 am »
This represents a new low in beer.
I'm getting so tired of the "unusual ingredients" trend (fad?) that some breweries seem to be embracing.  I guess there's an audience for it, but as for me, I find a well made 'real' beer to be much more interesting and compelling.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 08:41:49 am »
This represents a new low in beer.
I'm getting so tired of the "unusual ingredients" trend (fad?) that some breweries seem to be embracing.  I guess there's an audience for it, but as for me, I find a well made 'real' beer to be much more interesting and compelling.
+1
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 12:21:43 pm »
I agree that if you're trying to only add to the beer in terms of substance, like vitamins or caffeine or something, then it's ridiculous. But if the ingredients enhance or add to the flavor of the beer, then why not? And, I think if you're going to do some interesting blending, do it with lambic. It's been happening for ages.

Zwanze...

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 01:49:58 pm »
If drinking it for flavor or aroma - taste, then I cool with it.   8)

Now my rant.... >:(  if for the "health benefits" then these brewers are nothing more then snake oil salesmen preying on folk. 

I'm getting treatment for colon cancer and had a few well intention people telling me to take this fermented mushroom tea (kombrucha)to help cure me.  There is no scientific/medical evidence what so ever to prove benefits, yet that has not stoped people making a buck off anyone or recommending a waste of money.  Can't wait for the infomercial on TV telling us how the brewer's elixor will help you lose weight, and let us eat as much as we want too!

</end of rant>.

peace!

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 09:38:15 pm »
Now my rant.... >:(  if for the "health benefits" then these brewers are nothing more then snake oil salesmen preying on folk.  
</end of rant>.

Man if you can get your brew into WHOLE FOODS and get them to "drink the kool-aid"  you would be $$$$$$ rich. So, can't blame them for trying. I have not tried it, I've drank Kombucha (interesting) and Lambics (love em) but together.... I dunno.
If they get Chuck Norris to pimp it on an infomercial though - we're all in trouble.

beerrat: it's not really a shroom, just looks like one. It's a pellicle (sp?) that kinda looks like one. It's apparently mostly brett which is used in brewing anyway. They say is cures EVERYTHING, best I can figure it helps balance PH levels in your body. Had kombucha, drink kefir regularly. Only benefit I see is I'm not dead yet. But I keep drinking it...  :-\
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 09:46:18 pm by beerocd »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 06:44:04 am »
I'm pretty sure IPA is super good for you because after I have drank four or five pints I'm always feeling super!

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 09:12:56 am »
If they get Chuck Norris to pimp it on an infomercial though - we're all in trouble.

Chuck does not need any of this health eating stuff, he simply punches the illnesses out of himself. ;D

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 12:29:10 pm »
Kombucha potentially has toxic qualities based on my web-research a few years back. Healthy beer? Use good ingredients and clean water.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 12:48:45 pm »
I'm pretty sure IPA is super good for you because after I have drank four or five pints I'm always feeling super!

Apparently it is super good for you if you are going through menopause...

Or you want to sprout some nice man boobs.  Some kind of phyto-estrogens or something in high doses of alpha acids.

;)
Dave Brush

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 12:58:21 pm »
Remember homebrew from over at the NB forum? He made all kinds of kambocha. Loved the stuff.

He grew these giant mothers. Those things are crazy.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 09:47:54 pm »
Paul Stamets, a well respected mycologist touched on kombucha in an interesting article a little while back: http://www.fungi.com/info/articles/blob.html

I am getting so tired of people getting "so tired of the "unusual ingredients" trend (fad?) that some breweries seem to be embracing."  I'm really not sure why one would get upset about this.  Do you really think chocolate, coffee, new hops, grain styles, oak/woods and news yeast/bacterias are bad?

I love trying out new ideas in brewing.  Some are good, some bad and some terrible but they are all interesting and make me think differently about everything I consume and the endless possibilities to make something that challenges my palate. This is part of what takes brewing from craft into art.  Brewing, being pushed by homebrewing and the internet, is really moving into it's golden age in the US.

I think a kombucha culture addition could add a lot of interesting brett and acedic acid baceria flavor contributions to a beer.  I am not sure how easy it would to balance those as kombucha is supposed to have a certain existing natural symbiotic balance that I would think the alcohol and pH change from regular yeast alter up but I would think a blend could certainly be interesting.  My sister who brews a bunch of kombucha recently tried a little bit of my NB La Folie and said it reminded her very much of kombucha grown under certain conditions.

This guy: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/ has brewed a couple beers with kombucha culture with some interesting results.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 05:50:58 am by abraxas »

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 09:11:37 am »
I had kombucha once in Eugene. It was yucky.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 10:06:05 am »
I had kombucha once in Eugene. It was yucky.

If it's not made WITH additional ingredients then I think you're drinking it strictly for it's health benefits. I had a ginger blueberry one, and while the first sip is an almost unpleasant surprise - it grows on you. Sour, bit of fruit, fizzy, and finishes with a bite. Much like a blueberry flavored ginger ale with a shot of vinegar in it. I'd drink it again.