Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Note to Self  (Read 6814 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Note to Self
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 08:38:31 am »
What's your location?

I live in Maryland.   Chinook and Cascade also grow well in Maryland.  In fact, they are almost stupid proof cultivars for anyone who lives above the 35th parallel.   

FLBrewer earned my respect this year.  I guess that no one told him that hops are photoperiod sensitive.   All of Florida is below the 31st parallel.

We are at the 32nd here in Dallas and hops will grow and produce. I know people down towards Houston who also have decent luck. I am sure my plants would be happier further north though.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 09:01:23 pm »
What cultivars are you growing? 

Offline BrewBama

Note to Self
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 05:58:45 am »
What's your location?

I live in Maryland.   Chinook and Cascade also grow well in Maryland.  In fact, they are almost stupid proof cultivars for anyone who lives above the 35th parallel.   

FLBrewer earned my respect this year.  I guess that no one told him that hops are photoperiod sensitive.   All of Florida is below the 31st parallel.

That is a cool hop garden. I am at the 34th.

At this latitude the sun is visible for 14 hours, 25 minutes during the summer solstice and 9 hours, 53 minutes during the winter solstice.

What grows well here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 06:03:23 am by BrewBama »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 10:06:35 am »
I am at 42.5 degrees latitude, and these are ranked in order of production in a mainly gravel soil.

Cascade
Chinook - it is really turning into a beast, may pass Cascade this year.
Mt. Hood, Sterling, Centennial, Nugget.
Ultra
Hallertau, Tettnanger, Magnum, Willamette. The last 2 are not in the best positions for sun.

EKG was dug up last year due to lack of production. A handful in a good year was not worth the effort to string and harvest.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 07:18:00 pm »
I'm at about 37°.  Cascade has worked better than anything else.  This year, (2nd year in the ground) the Cluster is performing very closely.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2014, 07:47:33 pm »
I'm at about 37°.  Cascade has worked better than anything else.  This year, (2nd year in the ground) the Cluster is performing very closely.
I might have to get a Cluster for my backyard. I like it for CAPs and old school IPAs.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 11:09:42 pm »

I am trying to hunt down California Cluster germplasm.  California Cluster should grow like a weed where you live because it was grown in the Russian River Valley.  There does not appear to be any California Cluster germplasm in the USDA collection.  However, there is a good chance that there may still be germplasm at HortResearch in New Zealand.  California Cluster served as the foundation hop for New Zealand's hop breeding program.   

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 11:19:28 pm »

I am trying to hunt down California Cluster germplasm.  California Cluster should grow like a weed where you live because it was grown in the Russian River Valley.  There does not appear to be any California Cluster germplasm in the USDA collection.  However, there is a good chance that there may still be germplasm at HortResearch in New Zealand.  California Cluster served as the foundation hop for New Zealand's hop breeding program.
Doesn't do you much good but hop Meister in lake county has a hop they call Ivanhoe that they claim is a California cluster hop brought in from a wild plant. They don't sell stock though.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 08:23:06 am »
What cultivars are you growing?

Sterling, Nugget, Cascade and Mt. Hood. I tried EKG but it did not survive the heat at all.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 10:07:18 am »

I bought the only Cluster rhizomes I could find on the net; they were @ http://www.hopsdirect.com/rhcl/.  I did not inquire anything about their pedigree when I bought them.  I was very happy w/their service.

They are maturing faster than any of my other varieties this year.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví