Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fresh (Wet) Hops  (Read 5666 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Fresh (Wet) Hops
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 03:37:26 pm »
I would be leery of wet hops bought from a retailer unless I was certain they had been picked very recently.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 03:45:51 pm »
I would be leery of wet hops bought from a retailer unless I was certain they had been picked very recently.
ANybody know when the harvest is in Ohio typically? I was assuming these would be picked this week and next for delivery end of next week, have an email out to the LHBS asking about when picked
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 03:47:56 pm »
ANybody know when the harvest is in Ohio typically? I was assuming these would be picked this week and next for delivery end of next week, have an email out to the LHBS asking about when picked
I'm in Ohio and many of friends grow their own hops. Some of them are ready now and some won't be ready till August.
Dan Chisholm

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 04:16:08 pm »
So for now, I'm waiting to hear what LHBS has to say about harvest, but I will likely pick these up
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 07:35:09 am »
I'm brewing my fresh hopped IPA Friday. I got a large number of Zeus, chinook, centennial and cascades ready to go. I didn't get much production from the others. These four breeds are ready to go..., time to start the yeast!
Frank

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 08:53:02 am »
Typically when you buy wet hops they are coming very fresh off the bine. Like shipped overnight the day of the harvest.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 08:55:31 am »
I'm brewing my fresh hopped IPA Friday. I got a large number of Zeus, chinook, centennial and cascades ready to go. I didn't get much production from the others. These four breeds are ready to go..., time to start the yeast!

Sounds great !
Jon H.

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 10:08:19 am »
Typically when you buy wet hops they are coming very fresh off the bine. Like shipped overnight the day of the harvest.
At least from one place they sit in individual totes for a while to dry a bit for shipping and then are shipped in boxes with holes in them.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2014, 03:05:58 pm »
My first homegrown fresh-hopped IPA went very well today. I used around 40 oz of hops in the kettle. Close to even parts of Columbus, Centennial, Chinook, and Cascade were used. I was able to keep a bit of each except for the cascades to dry out and use for dry hops. Here's a pick of my flameout addition.... About a pound's worth...
Frank

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2014, 03:11:10 pm »
I'm not sure you put enough in there frank. ;D
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2014, 03:53:52 pm »

Haha I know, right. It was fun. I had a vague plan. We picked as the boil went on. I'd weigh out what I wanted and added a few more. Some hops didn't make it on the table. So they were picked up and tossed in the kettle. It was nice just winging it for once.

Malt bill:
10 3/4 lb two row
2 1/4 lb Munich
8 oz C40
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2014, 03:57:22 pm »

Haha I know, right. It was fun. I had a vague plan. We picked as the boil went on. I'd weigh out what I wanted and added a few more. Some hops didn't make it on the table. So they were picked up and tossed in the kettle. It was nice just winging it for once.

Malt bill:
10 3/4 lb two row
2 1/4 lb Munich
8 oz C40

Sounds awesome -  I'm pretty green with envy ! The C hops really play well together. You know you gotta post then end results.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2014, 04:32:13 pm »
The one we did last fall had 24 oz off the bines, it could have used more. 40? Maybe.

Frank, let us know where you are at (I forget). Mine will be ready early this year, but still a week away for the early ones, the C hops will come later in August.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 04:33:51 pm »
perhaps you should package in Old English bottles and call it a 40 with 40
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 04:58:27 pm »
The one we did last fall had 24 oz off the bines, it could have used more. 40? Maybe.

Frank, let us know where you are at (I forget). Mine will be ready early this year, but still a week away for the early ones, the C hops will come later in August.

The hop schedule was something like this:
60 min - 4 oz chinook and 4 oz Columbus
20 min - 2 oz chinook, 2 oz Columbus, 2 oz cascade, 2 oz centennial
10 min - 6 oz Centennial and 2 oz chinook
0 min - 4 oz of all four (45 min hop stand)

My guess is there is up to 5 more ounces in there with hops that weren't measured.

I plan on dry hopping at least 4 oz of these hops dried. I don't have anymore cascade.

I'm in northeast Ohio about 20 miles south of Youngstown. The Centennials were further along. They dictated that we brew this batch now. They were starting to brown on the bine. They were much lighter than the other three that were used. I also harvested the magnum today too. The nugget is still budding cones. It's a good few weeks away from harvest. My Golding, Mt. Hood, Willamette, and Perle didn't do much. It's the third year for this Golding with no cones. I might dig that out and maybe plant another cascade in its place next spring.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:18:49 pm by fmader »
Frank