Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American Brown ale critique  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
American Brown ale critique
« on: July 20, 2014, 07:00:33 pm »
Please critique my American Brown ale recipe to be brewed next Sunday. Thanks!
Yield 11 gallons

20# Munton's Maris Otter
2.5# Breiss Crystal 80
1# Chocolate malt
2 oz Blackprinz malt

Water: RO treated with Gypsum and Calcium chloride to 51 ppm calcium, 64 ppm chloride, 37 ppm sulfate
Target pH 5.40
Mash 60 minutes at 152f
Predicted OG 1.053
40 ibu
26 srm

1.5 oz Horizon 10.3% aa for 60 minutes, 25 ibu
2 oz Northern Brewer 9.4% aa for 15 minutes, 15 ibu
2 oz EKG @ FO
1 oz Columbus @ FO

Yeast experiment: split into two fermenters. WLP001 in one and WLP002 or 007 in the other.

I'm comfortable with the grain bill. But what might I add to give it a little nuttiness? I'm concerned with the water profile. My thinking is to have enough chloride to accentuate the malt and a little sulfate to support the hops.
I like the Northern Brewer/Columbus combination and I think it will work with the grain bill. I want American hops but I don't want any citrus character in this one. Will the EKG work in this combo?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:36:55 am by Joe T »

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: American Brown ale critique
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 09:08:09 am »
Maybe add some victory or biscuit malt?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 10:47:42 am »
Maybe add some victory or biscuit malt?
+1 I like some Victory in mine.
Dan Chisholm

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 06:56:07 pm »
That's funny. If I add Victory I'm just some roasted barley away from the list of grains in my American stout recipe.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 06:45:36 pm »
I'd consider swapping out the EKG for either Willamette or Fuggles.

I've come to shy away from EKG lately.  It comes across to me as quite vegetal, particularly in the darker styles like porters, stouts, and browns.  Maybe some would consider that sacrilege, but it's how my palate perceives them.

my 0.02

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 07:38:25 pm »
Thanks. I like EKG but it seems out of place in this recipe. I think I may drop it and move the Northern Brewer to FO. I find myself preferring FO hops over late boil additions these days. Why boil flavor hops when you get better flavor from steeping, right?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 08:04:27 pm »
I would leave the hops alone.  If you don't want too much citrus then if anything take the Columbus down to 0.5-0.75 oz.  Leave the EKG in there in my opinion.

If you like a little nuttiness there is nothing better in the world than toasted Maris Otter.  Take about a pound of it and toast in the oven at about 350 F for 20-30 minutes.  Nutty!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 03:28:19 am »
I would leave the hops alone.  If you don't want too much citrus then if anything take the Columbus down to 0.5-0.75 oz.  Leave the EKG in there in my opinion.

If you like a little nuttiness there is nothing better in the world than toasted Maris Otter.  Take about a pound of it and toast in the oven at about 350 F for 20-30 minutes.  Nutty!
I will try the toasted maris otter. I've never toasted malt, but if you say it's nutty then why not? Let's get nutty! Due to availability I had to switch to Glen Eagles floor malted maris otter. I've never used it before but tasting a few kernels side by side with Muntons I liked the Glen Eagles better.