General Category > Beer Recipes

German Hefeweizen

(1/4) > >>

musseldoc:
What do you all think of this for a Hefe?

Fermentables
Ingredient   Amount   %   MCU   When
German Wheat Malt    3.000 kg    60.0 %    1.7    In Mash/Steeped
German Pilsner Malt    1.500 kg    30.0 %    0.9    In Mash/Steeped
German Vienna Malt    0.500 kg    10.0 %    0.8    In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety   Alpha   Amount   IBU   Form   When
German Hallertauer Hersbrucker    2.6 %    30 g    12.0    Loose Pellet Hops    60 Min From End
German Hallertauer Hersbrucker    2.6 %    5 g    0.0    Loose Pellet Hops    At turn off

Yeast
Wyeast 3056

duboman:
Personally I like a traditional hefeweizen going 50/50 wheat and pilsner malts and one charge of Hallertauer at 60 minutes for roughly 15 IBU using 3068 to ferment at 68oF

In all I'd say your recipe works, just not sure you need the Vienna or the flame out hops

beersk:
I think the recipe looks good. Use Wy3068 for best results. Aim for about 15 IBUs.

mabrungard:
I like using Aromatic or Melanoidin malt instead of the Vienna. I would keep the bittering at the 11 to 12 IBU range. The late hop addition is unneeded and potentially undesirable since I'm not sure that hop aroma plays well with the yeast character. Make sure that your mash pH is in the 5.2 to 5.3 range so that the beer flavor is crisp.

brewinhard:

--- Quote from: mabrungard on July 16, 2014, 06:54:24 PM ---I like using Aromatic or Melanoidin malt instead of the Vienna. I would keep the bittering at the 11 to 12 IBU range. The late hop addition is unneeded and potentially undesirable since I'm not sure that hop aroma plays well with the yeast character. Make sure that your mash pH is in the 5.2 to 5.3 range so that the beer flavor is crisp.

--- End quote ---

+1 to the no late hop addition.  This beer is strictly about the yeast and you don't want anything getting in the way. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version