Author Topic: New mash tun build  (Read 1023 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster
  • Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
Re: New mash tun build
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 10:20:13 AM »
I don't have experience with them, but I would wager the NB tall boy kettles are of good quality. 

They sound a lot like the Megapot 1.2s but without the volume markers and the silicone covering on the handles.  I have two megapots (old versions, not the 1.2s), and they are built like tanks.

I take it you are planning to drill the holes yourself?

Offline chezteth

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 12:26:14 PM »
I don't have experience with them, but I would wager the NB tall boy kettles are of good quality. 

They sound a lot like the Megapot 1.2s but without the volume markers and the silicone covering on the handles.  I have two megapots (old versions, not the 1.2s), and they are built like tanks.

I take it you are planning to drill the holes yourself?

I can drill the holes myself. Although, I would prefer having the ball valves already installed. Any suggestions?

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster
  • Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 01:56:06 PM »
If you can do the drilling, you can save money by getting a tall boy kettle and purchasing the ball valve, bulkhead and barb from either www.bargainfittings.com or www.weldlessfittings.com.

If you don't mind spending the extra cash, you can buy a Megapot 1.2 pre-drilled with a ball valve from NB.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/megapot-1-2-brew-kettle-with-ball-valve-brewing-thermometer.html

You pay a premium though. 

There are a bunch of newer kettles on the market that I'm not familiar with (stout tanks, spike brewing, blichman, etc.).  They are probably worth looking into as well.

Offline 69franx

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Hidden Valley Lake, IN: Greater Cincinnati
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 07:06:50 PM »
Just got the Bru Gear update today: kettles are ready to ship next month. Just in Tim for summer brewing, oh wait a minute...

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank Laske
Franx Brew Works
Fermenting: German Themed IPA, Ringler Pilsner
Conditioning: The Queen's Diamonds EBW, House IPA
In Bottles:
In the works: You're my Hero Hazelnut Double Brown