Author Topic: New mash tun build  (Read 1433 times)

Offline narcout

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
Re: New mash tun build
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 10:20:13 AM »
I don't have experience with them, but I would wager the NB tall boy kettles are of good quality. 

They sound a lot like the Megapot 1.2s but without the volume markers and the silicone covering on the handles.  I have two megapots (old versions, not the 1.2s), and they are built like tanks.

I take it you are planning to drill the holes yourself?

"But all I've crossed is the blood-brain barrier." - D. Lingo

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 12:26:14 PM »
I don't have experience with them, but I would wager the NB tall boy kettles are of good quality. 

They sound a lot like the Megapot 1.2s but without the volume markers and the silicone covering on the handles.  I have two megapots (old versions, not the 1.2s), and they are built like tanks.

I take it you are planning to drill the holes yourself?

I can drill the holes myself. Although, I would prefer having the ball valves already installed. Any suggestions?

Offline narcout

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 01:56:06 PM »
If you can do the drilling, you can save money by getting a tall boy kettle and purchasing the ball valve, bulkhead and barb from either www.bargainfittings.com or www.weldlessfittings.com.

If you don't mind spending the extra cash, you can buy a Megapot 1.2 pre-drilled with a ball valve from NB.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/megapot-1-2-brew-kettle-with-ball-valve-brewing-thermometer.html

You pay a premium though. 

There are a bunch of newer kettles on the market that I'm not familiar with (stout tanks, spike brewing, blichman, etc.).  They are probably worth looking into as well.
"But all I've crossed is the blood-brain barrier." - D. Lingo

Offline 69franx

• Brewmaster General
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 07:06:50 PM »
Just got the Bru Gear update today: kettles are ready to ship next month. Just in Tim for summer brewing, oh wait a minute...

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Franx Brew Workz
Fermenting: Saison with blend of 3724 & Napolean
Conditioning:   Sour Saison on raspberries and something WILD
In Bottles: N.German Pilsner 2 ways with 835, Evil Twin, Smoked Porter, GHE with 835, German Pilsner with 835
In the works: 2 Different Fest Bier recipes,Trad Bock, Doppelbock, 2 Ballantine IPA clones(?), Dunkel