Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP029  (Read 3784 times)

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
WLP029
« on: July 16, 2014, 05:17:55 pm »
Anyone familiar with this yeast?  I brewed on Sunday.  Pitched sunday night at around 76F and brought it into my AC'ed room to keep it cool.  Ac dropped it to 70 on monday and down to 65 yesterday.  A tthis point the krausen as fallen.  Opened up the fermenter and got a wiff of Bananaie sulfer.  I know the sulfer will clean up during the lager phase but has anyone ever had Banana?  Im going to assume its just super young and will clean itself up in another week or so.

Cheers,
Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: WLP029
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 05:27:31 pm »
You pitched it pretty warm. I  ferment low 60's with kolsch yeast. Takes forever, but clean.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 05:33:14 pm »
Someone recently posted WLP029 giving off banana. I have never gotten that before but I have never had the yeast above 65F at any point. This has become one of my favorite strains for many different styles.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 05:37:10 pm »
Well ive read reviews that breweries in Cologne ferment from 68-73 and only lager for 3-4 weeks with the style so pitching at 78 then bring into the ac shouldnt be out of that range.  I pitched and moved the fermenter into a 65~ room. 
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 05:39:40 pm »
I am not educated enough so I usually try to stay within the mfg recommendations.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 08:27:11 pm »
I usually get a slight pear flavor, but I ferment cool with that yeast.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 10:07:39 pm »
Someone recently posted WLP029 giving off banana. I have never gotten that before but I have never had the yeast above 65F at any point. This has become one of my favorite strains for many different styles.

These have been my experiences as well.  Never got any banana from it, fermented cool in the 60s.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 02:17:28 am »
I have a lot of experience with this yeast. My wife loves kolsch style beers and I used to use this strain all the time. In my experience that is far too warm. You need to make  a decent sized (think close to lager sized) starter and pitch on the cold side. IME the temps that have worked best for this strain are 58 degree pitching temp, hold this temp for 3 days, then raise up to 62 for 3-4 days or so then raise to 66-68. One of the nice things about this strain is, unlike other kolsch strains I have tried, this one is fairly easy to clear with a little fining. There are some really nice chardonnay-like esters. I also get the pear thing. Never banana, but you might if you go too warm.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 05:11:11 am »
It could be the pear im getting, it smells fruity but im having a hard time identifying it.  Ill give it a taste tonight and get a better feel.

Jeff

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 09:00:38 am »
Well ive read reviews that breweries in Cologne ferment from 68-73 and only lager for 3-4 weeks with the style so pitching at 78 then bring into the ac shouldnt be out of that range.  I pitched and moved the fermenter into a 65~ room.

they are fermenting in much much bigger fermenters which may even be somewhat pressurized. the pressure on the yeast reduces ester production a lot so commercial brewers are able to ferment at a higher temp and much more quickly than homebrewers.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 09:09:34 am »
I have a lot of experience with this yeast. My wife loves kolsch style beers and I used to use this strain all the time. In my experience that is far too warm. You need to make  a decent sized (think close to lager sized) starter and pitch on the cold side. IME the temps that have worked best for this strain are 58 degree pitching temp, hold this temp for 3 days, then raise up to 62 for 3-4 days or so then raise to 66-68. One of the nice things about this strain is, unlike other kolsch strains I have tried, this one is fairly easy to clear with a little fining. There are some really nice chardonnay-like esters. I also get the pear thing. Never banana, but you might if you go too warm.

I definitely agree with your observations. I do get a white wine type quality in my kolsch and have had no problems getting it clear. I used this yeast recently for 3 straight batches; kolsch, amber, IPA and all turned out great although the character of the yeast is most apparent in the kolsch.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 09:46:04 am »
I am considering switching to WLP029 form WY2565. Everybody says it clears so much faster, even without fining.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 09:52:52 am »
My thoughts:  Yes, WLP029 clears much faster, and on its own.  However, I believe 2565 gives the superior flavor.  WLP029 is okay, but maybe not as tasty as the finicky 2565.

I have gone back and forth over the years.  Depends on what you think is more important.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 09:55:37 am »

Dang it. Now I want to brew a Kölsch. Is anyone else thirsty?
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 10:22:28 am »
I've been very successful brewing my Kolsch with WLP029 and treating it almost like a lager. I ferment around 58-60, and then walk up the temp as it nears FG. Cold crash, keg, and it's usually clear within 4-6 weeks with no additional fining.

I've found that about 6-8 weeks of lagering is about the sweet spot for my Kolsch with this yeast (the sulfur notes tend to stick around for a while)...its becoming a house favorite and cleaned up in comps this year. 3 golds and made it to mini-BOS in NHC final round.

Now why am I stuck at work and not drinking some Kolsch...
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
Grand Master Judge + Mead Judge
BJCP Communications Director
AHA Governing Committee