Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using the fermenter for the starter  (Read 2262 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Using the fermenter for the starter
« on: April 16, 2010, 07:02:03 am »
The LHBS gave me this idea, and it seems so obvious that I'm wondering if this is common: using the primary fermenter for the starter (as opposed to using a flask or other vessel), and then just racking the cooled wort onto it.  Thoughts?

They brought this up when I mentioned that one of my hesitations about liquid yeast was the introduction of one more possible source of contamination. I do sometimes use liquid yeast (and make starters), but I admit dry yeast has a higher comfort zone for me in that respect.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Using the fermenter for the starter
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 07:14:38 am »
Only two issues I see would be 1) if you use a stir plate, the fermenter is probably to large/heavy for it and I doubt the bar would stay centered and 2) I much prefer to decant off the oxidized spent beer from the starter - be kinda hard to do in a fermenter
Joe

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 07:18:58 am »
also may make it a bit hard to save some of the starter for propagating the yeast for future use.
Don AHA member

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 07:46:22 am »
On a normal basis using the fermenter seems kind of impractical for the reasons mentioned above.  As long as your sanitation is good I wouldn't worry too much about contamination.

I'll be doing a five gallon "starter" this weekend though and I'll definitely be using the fermenter for that  ;)
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 08:59:51 am »
I'll be doing a five gallon "starter" this weekend though and I'll definitely be using the fermenter for that  ;)

So happens I've got a five gallon "starter" planned myself for the 25th
Joe

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 09:27:40 am »
Only two issues I see would be 1) if you use a stir plate, the fermenter is probably to large/heavy for it and I doubt the bar would stay centered and 2) I much prefer to decant off the oxidized spent beer from the starter - be kinda hard to do in a fermenter

#2 is definitely a good point--I have been doing that.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 06:44:31 am »
Only two issues I see would be 1) if you use a stir plate, the fermenter is probably to large/heavy for it and I doubt the bar would stay centered

I made a stir plate that overcame those limitations . . A strong DC motor with neodymium magnets, and a 55mm dumbbell style stir bar conquered the normal issues of carboy bottom geometry. Granted, it is a 3 gallon carboy, but what a starter it makes!

2) I much prefer to decant off the oxidized spent beer from the starter - be kinda hard to do in a fermenter.

How come? Isn't that why they developed those handy little devices called racking canes?  :D ;)
Just brew it...