Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pump or new burner  (Read 5275 times)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Re: Pump or new burner
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 07:31:02 pm »
I own a March pump that I have never used, which should answer your question.
I have two and can't live without them. To each their own.

Disclaimer: one is a March and the other is a Chugger.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 07:44:37 pm »
I own a March pump that I have never used, which should answer your question.
I have two and can't live without them. To each their own.

Disclaimer: one is a March and the other is a Chugger.

Agreed, i cant live without my pumps. but i have a single tier brewstand and putting a my MLT higher then my BK is impossible etc.  IF you are doing small batches and dont have the ability to rig your gear semipermanantly, a pump seems like the poorer choice of the 2 options IMHO. Id get it after the burner for sure tho;)
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 07:51:32 pm »
I went to plenty of burners early on. This old guy has a single tier system and for ten gallons my pumps are back savers.

If the OP is doing 5 gallons get the best best burner you can afford. Heat is required to make beer, be it NG, LPG, electricity, steam, or fire wood.

If you go to 10 gallons the pump will recirculate when chilling, move and lift the wort, and for low gravity ales I use it to aerate by pumping full throttle into the fermenter. Pumps are a tool I find useful.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 07:54:14 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 07:55:02 pm »
Pumps also recirculate wert. = ss mt which has a longer life than a Coleman and is multifunctional

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 04:44:27 am »
Has anyone tried the Northern Brewer Edelmetal burner?  It looks nice....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

Pump or new burner
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 05:01:08 am »
If you have a burner now, all you may need is the burner head to replace your old one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0009JXYTG?pc_redir=1405521303&robot_redir=1

I've been using the same turkey fryer frame since '96. I've changed hoses, regulators and burner heads but the frame is built to last. And it's the perfect height to drain wort into the fermenter via gravity. (My table was a bit short to drain the mash/lauter tun so I built a box to set it on.)

If you go that route you might be able to afford both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:10:15 am by BrewBama »

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2014, 09:32:08 am »
If you get the kab4 on amazon it's $70 less than a blichmann burner. The blichmann burners are nice and work with near any kettle/keggle you can throw at em. The centering tabs are a smart idea.

+1, I use three Blichmann burners, and love them all.  We even use one for 37 gallon boils.  Blichmann doesn't recommend using their burners with their biggest pot.  But, I do, and it works. I get fire under the boil pot once there is about an inch of wort from the MT.  By the time my fly sparge is done, it only takes another 10 minutes or so to start the boil.   

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2014, 10:56:46 am »
I use my pump less than I thought I would. I think it depends on your system. If you are brewing mostly 5 gal batches and don't need to get the water higher than you can safely pour it then definitely the burner.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2014, 11:24:00 am »
I use my pump less than I thought I would. I think it depends on your system. If you are brewing mostly 5 gal batches and don't need to get the water higher than you can safely pour it then definitely the burner.

I use my pump on every batch for accelerated chilling.  That was the main reason I got it.  But once I had it and it was hooked up, I found other uses for it, too.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2014, 01:57:07 pm »
I wish I needed a pump.   :-\

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 09:02:13 pm »

I use my pump on every batch for accelerated chilling.  That was the main reason I got it.  But once I had it and it was hooked up, I found other uses for it, too.
To use a pump to accelerate chilling are you using a regular wort chiller and using the pump to move the wort around?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2014, 08:32:23 am »

To use a pump to accelerate chilling are you using a regular wort chiller and using the pump to move the wort around?

Yes, search Jamil's Whirlpool immersion chiller - as as a regular immersion chiller but with a short copper dip tube added to pump the wort around the coils.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2014, 08:51:30 am »
Get a pump & go electric
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2014, 09:54:45 am »
Yes, search Jamil's Whirlpool immersion chiller - as as a regular immersion chiller but with a short copper dip tube added to pump the wort around the coils.

I'm too lazy to build the copper return tube.  I just take the output hose from the pump and stick it back in the kettle.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2014, 10:04:36 am »

I'm too lazy to build the copper return tube.  I just take the output hose from the pump and stick it back in the kettle.

Exactly. I'm sure some designs are more efficient than others, but moving wort is the key.