Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bell's Two Hearted...a lesson or Discuss what supporting local means  (Read 5724 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Bell's Two Hearted...a lesson
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2014, 08:52:30 pm »

Then New Belgium gave incentives to the said distributors' sales force that every time they took over a competing tap they would get $50.
That is disturbing. It makes sense from New Belgium's business perspective but it is underhanded. My guess is if you try to buy back the tap New Belgium will just pay more and more. They probably wouldn't mind a bidding war because that would exhaust the little guys of cash.

First they buy the taps, then they buy the surviving local breweries, then you get another InBev.

I hate to sound pessimistic but in 50 years will the craft beer revolution be dead?

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2014, 09:08:10 pm »
I think this thread has gone steered quite a bit from my original post. Can't we all just get along  ???

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2014, 09:44:03 pm »

As I read this I'm drinking a homebrewed IPA that won a blue ribbon at a recent local comp. Can't get more local than that, right? Well I'm drinking it from a New Belgium glass I got for free just for being an AHA member on a recent visit to the brewery. It was a pleasant experience and they had some solid beers on tap. The iPA I'm enjoying was brewed with hops and malt from the Pacific Northwest. The yeast came from San Diego. The water's local but filtered with an RO filter made who knows where and treated with salts from who knows where. It's carbonated with co2 purchased locally and made who knows where. My point is, beer is rarely a truly local commodity from a standpoint of environmental sustainability. It's great to support any and all local businesses for economic reasons. But if you're supporting the locals for environmental reasons, maybe a local estate winery would be easier to find.
The caring, sharing, lovey-dovey, hippy-dippy, artsy-fartsy image of the professional brewing community is nice but when it gets down to brass tacks it's an extremely competitive profit driven industrial business. Personally I don't have the stomach for going pro. I'll stick to the caring, sharing, lovey-dovey, hippy-dippy, artsy-fartsy world of homebrewing. Drink what ya like. Especially if ya got something local worth spending your money on.
Joe,

Thank you for pointing it out. I had my brew house made 29 miles away. I got my tanks made 250 miles away. I did not buy them from china. I gave a paycheck to local people.

So yes it is also our responsibility to source local if we can find what we are looking for. We might pay a little bit more but we give a food in our neighbors table and via versa.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2014, 10:28:36 pm »

As I read this I'm drinking a homebrewed IPA that won a blue ribbon at a recent local comp. Can't get more local than that, right? Well I'm drinking it from a New Belgium glass I got for free just for being an AHA member on a recent visit to the brewery. It was a pleasant experience and they had some solid beers on tap. The iPA I'm enjoying was brewed with hops and malt from the Pacific Northwest. The yeast came from San Diego. The water's local but filtered with an RO filter made who knows where and treated with salts from who knows where. It's carbonated with co2 purchased locally and made who knows where. My point is, beer is rarely a truly local commodity from a standpoint of environmental sustainability. It's great to support any and all local businesses for economic reasons. But if you're supporting the locals for environmental reasons, maybe a local estate winery would be easier to find.
The caring, sharing, lovey-dovey, hippy-dippy, artsy-fartsy image of the professional brewing community is nice but when it gets down to brass tacks it's an extremely competitive profit driven industrial business. Personally I don't have the stomach for going pro. I'll stick to the caring, sharing, lovey-dovey, hippy-dippy, artsy-fartsy world of homebrewing. Drink what ya like. Especially if ya got something local worth spending your money on.
Joe,

Thank you for pointing it out. I had my brew house made 29 miles away. I got my tanks made 250 miles away. I did not buy them from china. I gave a paycheck to local people.

So yes it is also our responsibility to source local if we can find what we are looking for. We might pay a little bit more but we give a food in our neighbors table and via versa.
Leos, I love the frame of reference: it is easily expressed as "drink local beer" just a matter of how far you want to take it. It sounds like you do everything you can to source locally. I am happy that the BruGear kettle I kicked in for is made in USA, not nearly as excited about the vessel that I supported on indiegogo, which surprisingly ran into production spec issues during manufacturing in China! If everyone chooses their favorite local brew at every bar, new Belgium will be relegated to their own locality: apparently no big loss for the rest of us in their distribution circle. Couple/many beers in, hope this comes off as supportive and not trolling: I support local Cincinnati breweries whenever I have a choice!

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2014, 04:51:59 am »
I think this thread has gone steered quite a bit from my original post. Can't we all just get along  ???

I did not detect any dissension, only discussion. Sorry your post got side tracked. But it went somewhere interesting, right? :)

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2014, 07:32:43 am »
Here's some irony - I bought a hat from the AHA at the NHC in Grand Rapids last month that says "Support Your Local Brewery".  The label states it was made in Taiwan.

I have bought Leos' beers regularly as I pass through Eau Claire on my way to Hayward Wisconsin - I have several Growlers at this point.  They are great.  I can't wait to try one of Major's beers.  A new brewery opened in the town next to where I live.  I have been there 3 times since they opened in April - if I go to dinner in the area,I make it a point to plan a stop at the taproom.  I want to see them succeed - they are making only Belgian style beer and they kick the pants off New Belgium IMHO.

As New Glarus proudly states - "Buy Local, Drink Yokel" and "Drink Indigenously".  They expanded beyond Wisconsin for a short while, but then said screw it, we're going to be available "Only in Wisconsin".  I like their beers and look forward to it when I visit the Madison area.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2014, 04:45:37 pm »

Here's some irony - I bought a hat from the AHA at the NHC in Grand Rapids last month that says "Support Your Local Brewery".  The label states it was made in Taiwan.

I have bought Leos' beers regularly as I pass through Eau Claire on my way to Hayward Wisconsin - I have several Growlers at this point.  They are great.  I can't wait to try one of Major's beers.  A new brewery opened in the town next to where I live.  I have been there 3 times since they opened in April - if I go to dinner in the area,I make it a point to plan a stop at the taproom.  I want to see them succeed - they are making only Belgian style beer and they kick the pants off New Belgium IMHO.

As New Glarus proudly states - "Buy Local, Drink Yokel" and "Drink Indigenously".  They expanded beyond Wisconsin for a short while, but then said screw it, we're going to be available "Only in Wisconsin".  I like their beers and look forward to it when I visit the Madison area.
Greatly appreciate your support. We will start canning our seasonal beer on August starting with Oktoberfest.

New Glarus has a great philosophy. They sell 120,000 BBL is single state with 5 mil population. May be that is why we do not like to see Alaskan Brewing or Deshutes brewing or others like that around. Message here is do the better job selling your beer in your state.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2014, 06:32:04 pm »

I did not detect any dissension, only discussion. Sorry your post got side tracked. But it went somewhere interesting, right? :)
Nope, only kidding. I did alter the thread subject to better reflect the discussion!

Offline ram5ey

• Cellarman
    • Isaac Ramsey Design
Re: Bell's Two Hearted...a lesson or Discuss what supporting local means
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2014, 07:31:56 am »
There is a lot of good and passionate discussion on here that is all valid. I will say for New Belgium that they have some of the best customer service of ANY business I have ever encountered. I find some of their behind the scenes business practices a little disturbing, but the rest of the industry could learn from their customer service.
Macon, GA

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2014, 07:47:26 am »
Bell's is fairly local for me.  They are also great to homebrewers.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2014, 08:30:39 am »
Is the canned version naturally carbonated? The bottle version is bottle conditioned, right?
Jesse

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2014, 01:19:13 pm »
I would assume the can version is but I cannot say as I have not had it.  All of their bottled beer is bottle conditioned.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"