Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How do you... cucumber?  (Read 5815 times)

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
Re: How do you... cucumber?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 12:49:42 pm »
Maybe trade a Floridian for some CCB Cucumber Saison before you commit to a batch.  I tried it and won't be brewing with cucumbers.  YMMV

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 01:05:43 pm »
Or you can order it from Luekens and pick up a few other CCB beers while you're at it.

http://www.luekensliquors.com/beer/cigar-city-cucumber-saison-22oz

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 01:15:27 pm »
Maybe trade a Floridian for some CCB Cucumber Saison before you commit to a batch.  I tried it and won't be brewing with cucumbers.  YMMV

Yeah, while I would definitely try one, I can't ever see brewing one myself, especially in quantity. Never say never though.
Jon H.

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 01:27:51 pm »
5+ gallons is a large commitment.  1-2 gallons is worth the risk.  Which reminds me, I need to get crackin on my smoked ham on rye with mustard beer!   

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 02:55:32 pm »
I'm jealous. My cucumbers didn't make it this year. Most summers I eat a whole cucumber with lunch at work every day. Cut into sticks with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cukes are one veggie that I've never had too much of.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 03:34:31 pm »
Where is Jeffy when you need him? Just saying since he knows the CCB brewers.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2014, 04:14:13 pm »

What?
I can pick up a bottle if someone wants it.  I think it is a novelty rather than something I'd want a 5 gallon keg of.  The one time I tried it the brewer gave me a sample and I was surprised at how much cucumber they got into it.  It was like the salad course.  Then they gave me a sample of the dessert course, some  cookie tasting beer that I would also not want more than a small glass of.
I'll try to remember to ask how they infuse it this weekend.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2014, 04:20:19 pm »
Honestly, I would prefer to brew with pickles over cucumbers and may have to add some to my smoked ham on rye with mustard beer.  I thought about it and will definitely add some sauerkraut for Majorvices and mostly because the Mad Fermentationalist claims a pork and sauerkraut flavored beer is an experiment not worth making. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2014, 04:34:30 pm »
Honestly, I would prefer to brew with pickles over cucumbers and may have to add some to my smoked ham on rye with mustard beer.  I thought about it and will definitely add some sauerkraut for Majorvices and mostly because the Mad Fermentationalist claims a pork and sauerkraut flavored beer is an experiment not worth making. 

You beat me to it - I was gonna suggest a cucumber Berliner (read:pickle flavored) to drink alongside your ham/mustard brew, to simulate the pickle next to the sandwich!      ;)   
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2014, 05:17:02 pm »

What?
I can pick up a bottle if someone wants it.  I think it is a novelty rather than something I'd want a 5 gallon keg of.  The one time I tried it the brewer gave me a sample and I was surprised at how much cucumber they got into it.  It was like the salad course.  Then they gave me a sample of the dessert course, some  cookie tasting beer that I would also not want more than a small glass of.
I'll try to remember to ask how they infuse it this weekend.
Well, you do know the brewers. I didn't say that you liked that beer!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 10:48:00 pm »
I have a recipe for a Cucumber saison.  Calls for 1 English cucumber per gallon to be washed, halved, then thinly sliced and added directly to the fermenter right after the yeast is pitched.  I've never tried it so I can't vouch for how it will work.  Good luck.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2014, 12:46:08 pm »
At Avery's SourFest this year they had a Sour Blond that had cucumber and rosehips added. It was THE most refreshing sour I have ever had. Would be great on warm/hot days. It has me wanting to make a sour with cucumber. So refreshing.

Offline 3bbrewing

• Retailers
  • Cellarman
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2014, 04:59:05 pm »
Kinetic, I had a Berliner that was brewed with pickle juice.  It was an experimental brew from a brewery in LA.  It was strangely good.  Couldn't drink much more than 8-10 oz, and the salt load would seize your little heart up, but it was interesting. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2014, 07:39:05 pm »
Amanda,
I know you don't particulary like the BN, but Flat Tail had some tips on cuking a beer a few years ago.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/927

Or maybe email Wayne at Cigar City?

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2014, 05:56:25 am »
Pickles!?!

That's what I would do. Not all cucumbers make good pickles.
I've never met a vegetable that I couldn't make a good pickle out of.  Must be the kraut in me.

Amanda already said she has pickled some but there are kinds of cucumbers that just turn to mush if you try to pickle them.  We were sold the wrong kind one year and saw it happen first hand.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?