Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New mash tun build  (Read 4081 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: New mash tun build
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 11:20:13 am »
I don't have experience with them, but I would wager the NB tall boy kettles are of good quality. 

They sound a lot like the Megapot 1.2s but without the volume markers and the silicone covering on the handles.  I have two megapots (old versions, not the 1.2s), and they are built like tanks.

I take it you are planning to drill the holes yourself?

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 01:26:14 pm »
I don't have experience with them, but I would wager the NB tall boy kettles are of good quality. 

They sound a lot like the Megapot 1.2s but without the volume markers and the silicone covering on the handles.  I have two megapots (old versions, not the 1.2s), and they are built like tanks.

I take it you are planning to drill the holes yourself?

I can drill the holes myself. Although, I would prefer having the ball valves already installed. Any suggestions?

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 02:56:06 pm »
If you can do the drilling, you can save money by getting a tall boy kettle and purchasing the ball valve, bulkhead and barb from either www.bargainfittings.com or www.weldlessfittings.com.

If you don't mind spending the extra cash, you can buy a Megapot 1.2 pre-drilled with a ball valve from NB.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/megapot-1-2-brew-kettle-with-ball-valve-brewing-thermometer.html

You pay a premium though. 

There are a bunch of newer kettles on the market that I'm not familiar with (stout tanks, spike brewing, blichman, etc.).  They are probably worth looking into as well.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 08:06:50 pm »
Just got the Bru Gear update today: kettles are ready to ship next month. Just in Tim for summer brewing, oh wait a minute...

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)