General Category > Equipment and Software

Wiring for mill motor

(1/2) > >>

milehimark:

I want to use this dryer motor to run my grain mill. It's an ac motor .3 hp 115v 60~ 5.4amp. Can you tell based on the current wiring configuration how I can get this to run off a regular 120 v wall outlet.

My design for the motorized mill is as follows: http://byo.com/stories/item/1166-motorize-your-grain-mill-projects.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff M:
4 Wires makes me think its 240V not 120V.  The green attached to the housing is def the ground.  If i where you id find a 3 wire cord, hook the ground up and randomly start touching the hots to the wires and see if you can map out which is which.

Jeff

Thirsty_Monk:
Not sure if .3 hp will be strong enough.

3bbrewing:
Greetings...  Makes ya wish you would have paid attention in electronics class, huh?  At least I sure do wish I would have.  :-)  Can you show us what the plug looks like?  Like Jeff said, it looks like 220. 

troybinso:
There are 4 wires because dryers run on both 240 and 120. There are two hot wires that run the heater element to make the 240 part. And then there is a "neutral" wire for the electronic system and switches - which is the 120 part. The fourth is a ground. I am not an electrician - or anywhere close to one - but I was able to wire a water heater element for my hot liquor tank using the dryer outlet and so I did some research and figured it out. Hopefully someone more qualified can use better electrician language to clarify what I just wrote  ;)

I don't know which one is which on your dryer motor, but I am hoping this thread will help us figure it out. I have one of those motors sitting in my basement workshop waiting for a chance to turn it into a mill motor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version