Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Figs in a Belgian Dark Strong  (Read 1608 times)

Offline nicosan1

• Assistant Brewer
Figs in a Belgian Dark Strong
« on: November 22, 2014, 09:19:17 am »
Going to brew a Belgian Dark Strong tomorrow and I have some fig jam I made with my mother from my parents fig trees, was wondering when would be a good time to add it, for a bit of flavor, in the boil or after fermentation? 

Also should I macerate the figs in a blender before use? They are cut down to small pieces in the preserves.

Thanks for the advice.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Figs in a Belgian Dark Strong
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 11:19:56 am »
I've used figs in a BDSA several times.  Once fermentation is done, I put a wok on my brewing burner and super heat it.  I add the figs until they're caramelized, then deglaze the wok with some of the beer.  All of that goes into a secondary and the beer is racked on top iof it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 11:30:27 am »
Yep, i just racked a batch that was in primary for 3 weeks onto carmelized figs and bourbon soaked oak chips. In a couple weeks it will go in the root cellar for 6 weeks or so.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 11:32:13 am »

I've used figs in a BDSA several times.  Once fermentation is done, I put a wok on my brewing burner and super heat it.  I add the figs until they're caramelized, then deglaze the wok with some of the beer.  All of that goes into a secondary and the beer is racked on top iof it.
Sounds like a solid technique. Judging by how fast figs turn to vinegar, I'd guess they are covered in yeasts and bacteria.

Offline nicosan1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 11:43:29 am »
Cool so it should be fine to put on figs in secondary for a month or two? Ill follow your lead Denny et. al. My mom was about to send me two more jars of the figs in the post so this will be plenty time for secondary.