Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oaking - Chips, Cubes, Spirals, Sticks or?  (Read 4606 times)

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
Re: Oaking - Chips, Cubes, Spirals, Sticks or?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 04:08:05 pm »
The Jack chips are reasonably priced at $7 at Bass Pro. The bag looks to be 2-3 pounds.

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 08:13:21 am »
I found the J.D. chips @ Walmart for $5. You can smell the bourbon through the bag. I bought some Makers Mark to bourbon it up.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 09:27:41 am »
I've had interesting experiences buying chunk smoking wood and converting them into barrel substitute products. The woods are all aged and dried, like barrel wood, and they are untreated so risk of preservatives leaching into the beer. I have cut blocks from the chunks and charred them in the oven. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than the $15/lb oak cubes at the LHBS.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 10:09:42 am »
I've had interesting experiences buying chunk smoking wood and converting them into barrel substitute products. The woods are all aged and dried, like barrel wood, and they are untreated so risk of preservatives leaching into the beer. I have cut blocks from the chunks and charred them in the oven. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than the $15/lb oak cubes at the LHBS.

Got a source and procedure? id like to check out other types of wood outside the oak family.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!