Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wiring for mill motor  (Read 1777 times)

Offline milehimark

• 1st Kit
Wiring for mill motor
« on: July 19, 2014, 08:34:40 am »

I want to use this dryer motor to run my grain mill. It's an ac motor .3 hp 115v 60~ 5.4amp. Can you tell based on the current wiring configuration how I can get this to run off a regular 120 v wall outlet.

My design for the motorized mill is as follows: http://byo.com/stories/item/1166-motorize-your-grain-mill-projects.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:35:26 pm by milehimark »

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: Wiring for mill motor
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 04:21:55 pm »
4 Wires makes me think its 240V not 120V.  The green attached to the housing is def the ground.  If i where you id find a 3 wire cord, hook the ground up and randomly start touching the hots to the wires and see if you can map out which is which.

Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Wiring for mill motor
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 04:48:17 pm »
Not sure if .3 hp will be strong enough.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 05:47:41 pm by Thirsty_Monk »
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline 3bbrewing

• Retailers
  • Cellarman
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 04:52:55 pm »
Greetings...  Makes ya wish you would have paid attention in electronics class, huh?  At least I sure do wish I would have.  :-)  Can you show us what the plug looks like?  Like Jeff said, it looks like 220. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 07:26:57 pm »
There are 4 wires because dryers run on both 240 and 120. There are two hot wires that run the heater element to make the 240 part. And then there is a "neutral" wire for the electronic system and switches - which is the 120 part. The fourth is a ground. I am not an electrician - or anywhere close to one - but I was able to wire a water heater element for my hot liquor tank using the dryer outlet and so I did some research and figured it out. Hopefully someone more qualified can use better electrician language to clarify what I just wrote  ;)

I don't know which one is which on your dryer motor, but I am hoping this thread will help us figure it out. I have one of those motors sitting in my basement workshop waiting for a chance to turn it into a mill motor.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 05:49:50 am »
I can't answer your question directly but I do have questions that may help track the answers down.

1) Are there any manufacturer part numbers, model numbers stamped on it anywhere?
2) Do you still have the chassis of the dryer?  Appliances come with a wiring diagram sheet stashed inside the service panel somewhere.  It should indicate wire colors and connections.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 09:42:43 am »
Do you have plenty of fire insurance that covers DIY experiments?