Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CO2 Alarm  (Read 3430 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
CO2 Alarm
« on: July 23, 2014, 05:34:00 pm »
Does anyone have a carbon dioxide alarm?

I'm thinking of getting one for the basement where I keep my kegerator.

Maybe something like this, though it'd be nice to find something less expensive:  http://www.co2meter.com/collections/fixed-wall-mount/products/tim10-desktop-co2-temp-humidity-monitor
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: CO2 Alarm
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 05:39:02 pm »
Does anyone have a carbon dioxide alarm?

I'm thinking of getting one for the basement where I keep my kegerator.

Maybe something like this, though it'd be nice to find something less expensive:  http://www.co2meter.com/collections/fixed-wall-mount/products/tim10-desktop-co2-temp-humidity-monitor

Its probably not a bad idea.  Either this or get some plants and put them near the kegerator?
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 06:03:06 pm »
A canary would be cheaper.

Typical batch gives off less co2 than a person. If you are fermenting many large batches, I'm talking barrels, might be necessary.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 06:20:51 pm »
To clarify, my concern is the 10 lb. CO2 tank emptying into the basement due to a hose failure, cat pushing a tap open, etc. 

It hasn't happened in the five years I've been kegging, but now I'm wondering if it's a hazard.  I'm worried about my wife walking down there with the baby (the basement is how we access our parking area).
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Stevie

CO2 Alarm
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 06:27:59 pm »
Ahh...  What are the chances? Still we wear seatbelts, install smoke detectors, keep fire extinguishers, lock our doors. Go for it if it gives you piece of mind.

Here is one that is a bit cheaper with some good reviews.
Autopilot Desktop CO2 Monitor by AutoPilot http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008NPA18A/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_Nlf0tb1WV5SCZ

Scratch that. Meant for plants. Won't help a baby unless he or she has a green thumb.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:30:31 pm by Steve in TX »

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 06:39:01 pm »
I picked up a plug in model at Home Depot/lowes for around $35 I think. Not all the bells and whistles you're looking at, but I feel better about brewing and fermenting now, but I also do not currently keg

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 06:56:33 pm »
I do not think you guys need to worry about.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 09:32:52 pm »
how many liters of co2 are in a 10 lb tank? a lb of co2 is a little less than 9 cubic feet of gas so a 10 lb tank contains about 90 cubic feet of gas. a 10 x10 x10 room contain 1000 cubic feet of space. that's not really a significant amount when spread evenly throughout your basement. but I suppose if it all pooled in a low spot 10 X 10 it would make a layer a little less than a foot deep.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline georgehotelling

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 08:51:41 am »
I picked up a plug in model at Home Depot/lowes for around $35 I think. Not all the bells and whistles you're looking at, but I feel better about brewing and fermenting now, but I also do not currently keg

I suspect you've got a carbon monoxide detector, not carbon dioxide. CO detectors are much cheaper and widely available than CO2 detectors.

CO2 is dangerous stuff when concentrated and if you find yourself in a basement full of it there's a good chance you won't be able to get out by the time you realize it (read up on Lake Nyos for the worst-case scenario). That said for my setup of a 5 lb. tank and decent-sized basement I'm not particularly worried if the tank empties. If I had a 20 lb. tank I would be getting a CO2 alarm for sure.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 09:29:02 am »

I suspect you've got a carbon monoxide detector, not carbon dioxide. CO detectors are much cheaper and widely available than CO2 detectors.

CO2 is dangerous stuff when concentrated and if you find yourself in a basement full of it there's a good chance you won't be able to get out by the time you realize it (read up on Lake Nyos for the worst-case scenario). That said for my setup of a 5 lb. tank and decent-sized basement I'm not particularly worried if the tank empties. If I had a 20 lb. tank I would be getting a CO2 alarm for sure.
Exactly right, guess I was not paying too close of attention. thanks for the heads up.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 04:45:41 pm »

how many liters of co2 are in a 10 lb tank? a lb of co2 is a little less than 9 cubic feet of gas so a 10 lb tank contains about 90 cubic feet of gas. a 10 x10 x10 room contain 1000 cubic feet of space. that's not really a significant amount when spread evenly throughout your basement. but I suppose if it all pooled in a low spot 10 X 10 it would make a layer a little less than a foot deep.
You are correct. As I said before nothing to worry about.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com