Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lagering in a Keg  (Read 1933 times)

Offline rapurcell85

• Cellarman
Lagering in a Keg
« on: July 20, 2014, 02:33:23 pm »
Has anyone done this? I'm brewing my 3rd ever lager, the first on a few years. I only have one 5 gallon carboy, and would prefer not to hold it up with a lager. I had a thought to later in a corney keg. If I do, can I just take a pint or two off the bottom to get rid of the yeast and carbonate on the lagering keg? Any shared experiences and insights would be much appreciated. Thanks on advance!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Lagering in a Keg
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 02:35:17 pm »
It's my SOP...I've done it dozens of times.  I usually put enough pressure on the keg so that by the time it's lagered, it's also carbed and ready to serve.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 03:07:45 pm »
It's my SOP...I've done it dozens of times.  I usually put enough pressure on the keg so that by the time it's lagered, it's also carbed and ready to serve.

+1.  Same thing I do.
Jon H.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 05:48:55 pm »
An old friend who brewed the best Oktoberfest I have ever had in my life swore he had the best results lagering in a keg when the keg was in the fridge horizontally.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 05:52:15 pm »
An old friend who brewed the best Oktoberfest I have ever had in my life swore he had the best results lagering in a keg when the keg was in the fridge horizontally.

The keg horizontally makes a lot of sense, less distance for all the crap to fall out.  The problem would be the second you move the keg its all gonna go back in to suspension though....
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 06:55:45 pm »

The keg horizontally makes a lot of sense, less distance for all the crap to fall out.  The problem would be the second you move the keg its all gonna go back in to suspension though....

Hopefully all the "crap" will bind together allowing for it to drop much faster when brought vertical.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 06:56:40 pm »
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!