Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Crashing  (Read 1666 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Crashing
« on: July 20, 2014, 03:57:52 pm »
I was just listening to some guy who coauthored the yeast book. He claimed that he found a study during his research that reports up to 30% increase in fruity ester production if you rapidly cool or cold crash at the end of fermentation as compared to gently cooling by dropping the temp a couple degrees per day. (June 3 14 Jamil Show)

Last winter I worked on lagers a bit. They got to be pretty good but still, what I called too aley, probably due to my cold crashing. When the beers were done I would set my temp at 32° and it would get there over night.

Any comments from experience on this? I'm looking forward to making this change when lager season comes around. If it's true, I think my lagers will reach that magic level I just couldn't find last year.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Crashing
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 08:52:15 pm »
I haven't noticed it, but maybe because I haven't done the slow cooling method. There are many people who say it doesn't make a difference, but I don't know for sure.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 06:06:59 am »
I made a couple pilsners in the spring that came out very clean, and I didn't step down to lagering temps. Sampled both after D-rest and put the kegs in a 32F fridge to lager.
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 09:17:10 am »
I wonder if that included a warm d-rest before crashing or if the research looked at beers going from fermentation temp directly to lagering.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 09:23:37 am »
I was just listening to some guy who coauthored the yeast book. He claimed that he found a study during his research that reports up to 30% increase in fruity ester production if you rapidly cool or cold crash at the end of fermentation as compared to gently cooling by dropping the temp a couple degrees per day. (June 3 14 Jamil Show)

Last winter I worked on lagers a bit. They got to be pretty good but still, what I called too aley, probably due to my cold crashing. When the beers were done I would set my temp at 32° and it would get there over night.

Any comments from experience on this? I'm looking forward to making this change when lager season comes around. If it's true, I think my lagers will reach that magic level I just couldn't find last year.

My experience differs.  I guess if you didn't allow enough time for fermentation to fully finish and clean up it could be possible.  OTOH, I have a batch of Rye IPA on tap where I did something very much like that.  Hit FG in 6 days so I crashed at 40F to drop the yeast out.  It had no increase in esters and actually was better than batches where I wait 3 weeks for the yeast to drop on its own.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 10:12:50 am »
I am learning to not trust single data points, even from notable people, especially if they don't reference the "study". But I might try this slow step down chilling next time I do a lager just to see if it fixes my issue. If it does, it could still be circumstantial because it won't be a side by side.

Thanks for the interesting replies guys

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 10:24:22 am »
I am learning to not trust single data points, even from notable people, especially if they don't reference the "study". But I might try this slow step down chilling next time I do a lager just to see if it fixes my issue. If it does, it could still be circumstantial because it won't be a side by side.

You are a wise man.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell